Specifically, small ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Big Lou -- yes -- very good thought! We have been thinking about all this stuff... Really, this is the only place we can put it. I'm planning to make sure it's as far over to the other side of the property line as possible -- and it will be small. I'm thinking that roofing will be the only thing that would be a big problem. For that, we could use cinder blocks around and cover with big sheets of wood for a day. For everything else, we'd be doing the DIY thing, and we would be VERY careful. We have so many bugs down here, you can't sit outside without dousing yourself with DEET. We want the pond to be visible from our screened in porch -- so that's the place. I think it will be ok. But I soooo appreciate all these thoughts. With such a great bunch of brains and experience, I know someone is going to point out something I haven't thought of!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey guys -- here is my first sketch. I know it will change, but this is an idea of what I'd like to do.
pond sketch.JPG

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I'm concerned that with your pond and stream in close proximity to your house there could be future issues regarding home maintainence access. Such as repainting, roofing, windows, etc.. Just saying........
On the other hand, centuries of castle design has taught us that a water feature around our domiciles is a proven defense against home invasion.

May I suggest:
moat1.jpg

Any burglar faced with this is sure to try your neighbor's house instead.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
On the other hand, centuries of castle design has taught us that a water feature around our domiciles is a proven defense against home invasion.

May I suggest:
moat1.jpg

Any burglar faced with this is sure to try your neighbor's house instead.

Unless of course, you're being attacked by an army of herons backed up by brigades of raccoons.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
one nice thing about ponds, the critters that come to live there love bugs. since we built no mosquitoes, crickets a lot less, the birds, frogs dragonflies eat the bugs up. I can't see your photo right now well, looks neat what I can figure out, on phone works OK but not good.

Ask a Question