Spray bar questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made a spray bar to help cool my pond and add some oxygen to the water. What angle and height should I install the spray bar at for maximum effectiveness? I'm not finding any real specific information anywhere online

Reaction score
Country
United States
Everything people have told me said it would....... why wouldn't it? Increased evaporation and movement would cool the pond right?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
increased evaporation will mean adding water and colder water could cause water quality problems or problems with your fish .I know my well water coming out is 55 degrees right now and that would shock the fish .My well is over 400 feet deep and my water lines are 6 feet under the ground since the well driller did not know we were back filling the yard to bring up height .I have a spray bar but i is on the bottom of the pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am still new ish to pond life. But it seems the better the "plunge" in to the water the better also a decent spread on the plung as well will help with o2. My waterfall has a 6-8" plunge with a 1' wide spread. I also have a 2nd pump/filter with a 6" plung and a straight pipe narrow outflow if that makes sense.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have spitter bars in my top waterfall pond and in the bottom of the pond .A bal valve also
all around 7-15 013.JPG
101_0356.JPG
rainy day landscape and pond leak 2015 005.JPG
all around 7-15 018.JPG
all around 7-15 019.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
increased evaporation will mean adding water and colder water could cause water quality problems or problems with your fish .I know my well water coming out is 55 degrees right now and that would shock the fish .My well is over 400 feet deep and my water lines are 6 feet under the ground since the well driller did not know we were back filling the yard to bring up height .I have a spray bar but i is on the bottom of the pond .

I'm in Phoenix Arizona. Need a way to help my pond cool some

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's what I have going on now. We were going to do a cover of some sort but coming into monsoon season it will blow away the first monsoon and all the money we spent with it as well :/ and the monsoons are so unpredictable that I wouldn't always have time to take the shade down before the wind hits. I have two deep plunge waterfalls and the spray bar is in the shade about a two inches above the water and pointed mostly down and at a slight angle. My temps are at 93F They were as high as 97 yesterday so I'm thinking the spray bar is doing something since it's warmer out today and the pond is staying a bit cooler. I have absolutely zero stressed gulping, gasping or dying fish. They are handling it quite well actually! I'm not worried about water clarity right now as the cloudy water is probably what is keeping my temp down some. That and he dye I have in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 222
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_6650.JPG
IMG_6651.JPG
IMG_6652.JPG
IMG_6653.JPG
IMG_6655.JPG
IMG_6650.JPG
IMG_6651.JPG
IMG_6652.JPG
IMG_6653.JPG
IMG_6655.JPG
I will admit to you that I am new to the ponding game but I have learned alot and have had pretty good success so far..... That being said I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop, but this is what I have learned so far about water temperature..... The bottom of your pond has the biggest effect on the temperature of your pond, I chose not to put rocks or gravel on the bottom of my pond ( after listening to advise from long time ponder friends) except at the base of my waterfall. So in the summer my pond will heat up due to 6 to 7 hours of direct sunlight on a black liner, even if you have a rock bottom it is still dark and it will absorb heat, although not as much. Water flowing over a waterfall, I have a 110 gallons flowing over my waterfall you are adding to the heat of your pond by the water flowing through the ambient air.... So what I have done is provide a sanctuary from the sunlight by means of water lilies and water cabbage, I have about a quarter covered now, and the rate they are growing by the end of August it will be over half. The next thing is oxygen with the amount of water coming over my waterfall and and the aerator my Koi really don't care what the water temperature is, the higher the water temperature the more oxygen you need, so far been lucky Koi are happy and healthy in 90 degree water..... Although I don't know that I trust that algae covered pool thermometer. Lol Jimmy

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 101906 View attachment 101907 View attachment 101908 View attachment 101909 View attachment 101910 View attachment 101906 View attachment 101907 View attachment 101908 View attachment 101909 View attachment 101910 I will admit to you that I am new to the ponding game but I have learned alot and have had pretty good success so far..... That being said I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop, but this is what I have learned so far about water temperature..... The bottom of your pond has the biggest effect on the temperature of your pond, I chose not to put rocks or gravel on the bottom of my pond ( after listening to advise from long time ponder friends) except at the base of my waterfall. So in the summer my pond will heat up due to 6 to 7 hours of direct sunlight on a black liner, even if you have a rock bottom it is still dark and it will absorb heat, although not as much. Water flowing over a waterfall, I have a 110 gallons flowing over my waterfall you are adding to the heat of your pond by the water flowing through the ambient air.... So what I have done is provide a sanctuary from the sunlight by means of water lilies and water cabbage, I have about a quarter covered now, and the rate they are growing by the end of August it will be over half. The next thing is oxygen with the amount of water coming over my waterfall and and the aerator my Koi really don't care what the water temperature is, the higher the water temperature the more oxygen you need, so far been lucky Koi are happy and healthy in 90 degree water..... Although I don't know that I trust that algae covered pool thermometer. Lol Jimmy

Your pond looks fantastic! Where are you located? I figure if anything the spray bar will add oxygen to the pond giving it at least some benefit right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
View attachment 101906 View attachment 101907 View attachment 101908 View attachment 101909 View attachment 101910 View attachment 101906 View attachment 101907 View attachment 101908 View attachment 101909 View attachment 101910 I will admit to you that I am new to the ponding game but I have learned alot and have had pretty good success so far..... That being said I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop, but this is what I have learned so far about water temperature..... The bottom of your pond has the biggest effect on the temperature of your pond, I chose not to put rocks or gravel on the bottom of my pond ( after listening to advise from long time ponder friends) except at the base of my waterfall. So in the summer my pond will heat up due to 6 to 7 hours of direct sunlight on a black liner, even if you have a rock bottom it is still dark and it will absorb heat, although not as much. Water flowing over a waterfall, I have a 110 gallons flowing over my waterfall you are adding to the heat of your pond by the water flowing through the ambient air.... So what I have done is provide a sanctuary from the sunlight by means of water lilies and water cabbage, I have about a quarter covered now, and the rate they are growing by the end of August it will be over half. The next thing is oxygen with the amount of water coming over my waterfall and and the aerator my Koi really don't care what the water temperature is, the higher the water temperature the more oxygen you need, so far been lucky Koi are happy and healthy in 90 degree water..... Although I don't know that I trust that algae covered pool thermometer. Lol Jimmy
Just an afterthought, I also have a pool not fifteen feet away from my pond, I have the same pump on my pond as my pool (interchangeable..... Thinking ahead pond is more important than the pool) although it does not have the waterfall it has four times the surface area of the pond same amount of sunlight and it is 12 degrees cooler than the pond, the difference is light blue liner compared to black

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your pond looks fantastic! Where are you located? I figure if anything the spray bar will add oxygen to the pond giving it at least some benefit right?
Yes the spray bar does add oxygen but the higher the water temperature more oxygen you need, depending on your gallons and fish load , you need an aerator. I am in Jackson Tn deep in the zone 7 south..... Was 93 high today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Somewhere I saw v video of a pond owner who has some kind of misting machine near his pond. It lowered the temperature around the pond, don't think it would affect the water temp.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes the spray bar does add oxygen but the higher the water temperature more oxygen you need, depending on your gallons and fish load , you need an aerator. I am in Jackson Tn deep in the zone 7 south..... Was 93 high today

It was 120F out two weeks ago Its been consistently around 110-115F recently though and pond temps seems to stay around 94-97F depending on the weather. I'm so over this weather!!!

Ask a Question