Barley Straw

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just purchased 2 barley straw bales and wondering if this is a good time to put them in the pond or wait until early spring. Pond size is 2000 gallons

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It depends on how good your water quality management is during the winter.
If you can maintain good KH, GH and oxygen levels, plus water circulation, you'll be fine.
It will have the same effect of throwing leaves in your pond just before winter so the oxygen level will be reduced quicker than without adding any organic material.
Organic material decomposes during the winter but at a slower rate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like I should wait until spring to put the barley straw in since we go to Florida for a couple of months and I just have two aerators for water movement during the winter months. Thanks for your input Mitch

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Don't bother with barley straw. It has never made any difference in my pond. At best, it's a band aid for the pond. In my case, it was a band aid to cover bad pond water chemistry management. Once I increased water circulation, added more media surface area, I never needed to use it again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a whole garbage can in my shed full of barley straw. Think I used it a couple times and then not impressed. I will be using it as a mulch for garden beds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Studies have shown that humic substances which are leached from organic material such as leaves and barley straw have anti-algal and antibacterial properties for the pond water and it's inhabitants.
Perhaps sometimes people have unrealistic expectations.

Ask a Question