Spring and String

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Spring is on the way! The sun has been shining and we've had some real warmth here the last few weeks. The springtime string algae has begun! The pond plants haven't quite caught up to bring back the balance but I know they will get growing in April. I know algae serves a purpose in taking up nutrients from the fish. Is there any real reason (other than appearances) for me to get in and twirl some out with my algae brush? (aka toilet brush?) Or should I just leave it be? (It is a gorgeous emerald green for St. Patrick's Day!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your string algae isn't the only thing that's green right now... I'm green with envy hearing about your warm weather! Although we're supposed to hit the 60s by tomorrow, so the end of this very loooooong winter may be in sight!

I pull string algae just because it's fun and gives me something to putter around with. And I like to toss it in the garden for some added nutrients. But generally I just leave it be. The stuff on my waterfall is often the last to go, so I generally clear that off at some point. Otherwise it's every plant for itself!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your string algae isn't the only thing that's green right now... I'm green with envy hearing about your warm weather! Although we're supposed to hit the 60s by tomorrow, so the end of this very loooooong winter may be in sight!
It has been a very long one, hasn't it? I still have a lot of ice, but I'm hoping in the next day or two that the line will unfreeze and I can start trickling water back through the system.

Ask a Question