Spring water change

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
When is it a good time to do my spring water change? My area will be seeing some double digit temps these next few weeks so I imagine all the ice will be gone soon...Im assuming once the hose water temp is the same as the pond water temp?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You could do a slow water change as soon as you get a good size hole

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do a 50% change about this time of year and I'm getting ready to do it this week. As you stated,it's best to do it when the incoming water is roughly the same as the outgoing.

Reaction score
It always better to do a long slow water change than a large fast one.
If you start dripping the water in now in a couple weeks you will have done a complete water change, and you won't have to worry about stressing your fish with chlorine levels, PH swings, or rapid water temperature change.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Drip water change does nothing to remove waste build up . Slowly trickling water in does nothing but actually harden water and or add to other non disolvable pollutants. Topping off does the same thing.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I been doing water changes all winter long
Last night the rain started , now it's free filter cleaning and dumping every few hrs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Drip water change does nothing to remove waste build up . Slowly trickling water in does nothing but actually harden water and or add to other non disolvable pollutants. Topping off does the same thing.

If you feel that you need to do water changes to reduce nutrient buildup, then you have an underperforming filtration system (including lack of sufficient oxygenation for bacteria), the pond is overstocked or you are overfeeding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

The key is drip water change WITH overflow. Dripping in slowly with no water flow is a slow motion top-off. With overflow, it is a slow motion water change.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My water changes are rain driven. Good rain = good water change. Being on a well we don't do trickle water flow. I add water in the summer via a timer, Or rain.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Living just up the road from Kanniff, I'd like to tell him/her that a water change is completely unnecessary and an exercise in futility.

If he/she feels the need to pay more on the next water bill and has a couple extra hours to spare, then by all means go for the water change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Living just up the road from Kanniff, I'd like to tell him/her that a water change is completely unnecessary and an exercise in futility.

If he/she feels the need to pay more on the next water bill and has a couple extra hours to spare, then by all means go for the water change.
Oh really eh? This is my first year with a pond, I thought that you were supposed to do a spring water change since the water has just been sitting there all winter with no filtration...? Hmm, I guess if I dont have to I wont.

Ask a Question