Springtime fun!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I'm really excited to report that so far this spring, my water parameters have stayed at perfect levels. And... several new additions since we have a larger pond. Here's a short video of most of my fish enjoying a small meal yesterday. My smallest ones are still preferring to hide behind liner folds. They will come out as temps get warmer, I'm sure. But my favorite part of this video is that my black koi--who is normally quite shy and elusive--is totally out with the pack and eating! You have to look hard to distinguish him at first, but he's there, with his cute little pink mouth gobbling garlic-coated kibble.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your water looks nice and yep I see that sneaky black fish zooming around in there grabbing up food. You have some pretty fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Thanks @j.w . It's the first time we've decided to really invest in fish. Now I am constantly worried about anything happening to them!! I'm acting like a foolish mother hen! Maybe should have stuck with cheapies... but even then I tend to be obsessive over my fish. The black koi was a cheap PetSmart fish from over a year ago, but I love him! Just learned this week that traditionally, you are supposed to have a black koi in your pond to absorb any evil and promote good luck. So... maybe it's working? :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like the black fish too and have had some black goldfish that stayed black for several years then whamo they started changing to orange.
Keep that black koi safe so the good joo joo vibes keep working for ya! I had to resort to a net to keep my fish out of the grasp of the heron. Now I and the fish have peace :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
That's my newest @RobAmy ! I think it's a female, and has the most mesmerizing tail... looks like pale blue silk. Sigh. I love her. Named her Mimosa.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OOooo ... I love that yellow with black dot too. Mimosa is a perfect name for her! I look at my koi, and have a hard time deciding which one is my favorite. Probably Lucy, as she is tri-colored, and has a red head. :) I have had a black koi as one of my original fish. I think it's a Kumonryu, and yes, a black koi is supposed to be good to have! Mine is the friendliest of my fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Oh man you guys... I'm pretty sure I'm DONE buying fish now. But last night I got the most amazing gin rin Chagoi. We call him friendly Frank. Within an hour of introducing him to the pond, he has taught ALL the fish to come right up to us and let us pet them!!! Now we can hand feed and what not. We also added a really deep red Aka Matsuba.

chagoi 1.JPG chagoi 2.JPG chagoi 3.JPG chagoi 4.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Cool!!!! I've heard that Chagoi are the friendliest of koi as far as colors, so sounds like yours is true to color! I have to say I LOVE the first second pic, far right. I remember looking at them when I was buying, but couldn't afford the ones that I really liked. Can't remember the color pattern name, though. Something about black base color with red on top, or visa versa ... anyhow, it's beautiful. Love your red matsuba, too. You must have a local place to buy fish from, huh?

Ask a Question