Stacked Granite Slab Waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mortar is a general term for many, many products and recipes. I've never heard specifically of "mason cement" and Google didn't turn up anything, so I don't know what that is. Are you talking about type 0 or N vs type S or M mortar? None of these are waterproof so I'm not sure what's being referred to.

I've often heard people want the "strongest" mortar. They're generally talking about compression strength. The more Portland cement (and some other factors) added the greater the compression strength. It seems like "compression" gets dropped.

Glass has high compression strength, but drop a glass bottle and you see that compression strength isn't the same thing as "strong". The same with mortar. As any good bricklayer will tell you a high compression strength mortar is a poor choice for clay bricks. The mortar stays rigid while the bricks and building moves and the whole thing falls apart faster. Some (OK, a tiny number) bricklayers are even going back to line mortar (no cement) because they feel it lasts longer if properly maintained.

Personally I would stay with type N, maybe type S, or something in between. Or maybe even a Thin Set mortar. Lots of choices.

For a bricklayer of the 40's - 80's, there wasn't all the various choices you like to throw around and are available. There was only two types and that was mortar and cement. One was designed to be softer and break easier than the brick to which they adhered. The other was for walls and slabs where strength was needed AND water-resistance/proofing. My dad created various cement aquariums, complete with a glass front, and indeed, they WERE waterproof. Had years of NO water on the floor and tropical fish abounding. So, you many not know, or are working your way through the various choices of mortar, cement, ad nauseum, but if you go to a brickyard, there's no question of which type etc. Cement (Portland was a brand before it was a type), used in either 5 bag (typical then for most purposes) per yard mixes or if you were knowledgeable enough, 6 bag, was better for driveways and the like. The cheap contractors used 5, of course (heard stories they even tried to use 4). Mortar used with sharp sand made a better mix and gave better results re longevity, just as cement (different cured color included) made a nice wash for chimney caps that needed repair as well as used as a WATERPROOF coating (you use the powder alone and 'paint' the mix on the walls, thereby waterproofing the unit) is better in this case, imo. And strength is measured as well by the ability to withstand breakage. A wall built with cement as the bond (instead of mortar) will be far harder to dismantle and therefore, last longer re cracking and movement. I've had to built and take down both, so I have some experience here. Removing cement from brick/stone is a b*tch if you're trying to re-use the piece.

If my dad was still alive, I'd have him give you a plethora of stories based on his experience working with mortar and cement. Trust me, I'm not obfuscating the issue, I'm trying to give you HIS and some of my own experience with what has been around a lot longer than either of us. It doesn't have to be that confusing. Hit the mason supply yards, ask for Portland cement and waterproof the back of the wall to which the granite is to be adhered. Will stop any worry re water unless the foundation shifts and a crack occurs (which isn't likely if the home was built correctly in the first place). Homes with block basements were routinely prepped this way (along with a coating of tar/mastic material) to insure water-tightness. Flower boxes were also lined this way, sans the tar though.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

Michael

Reaction score
There was only two types and that was mortar and cement.
Cement is an ingredient in mortar, it isn't a separate thing. Yes, I do like to throw around proper terms...sorry that offended your creativity.

One was designed to be softer and break easier than the brick to which they adhered. The other was for walls and slabs where strength was needed AND water-resistance/proofing.
Water resistance yes. Cement materials such as gunite used in pools and ponds require an extra ingredient or coating to be considered waterproof. The other thing cement materials require to be waterproof is a certain thickness and reinforcement to keep the structure stable. And that's why no mortar can ever be waterproof, it cracks from shrinking and thermal movement. The shrinkage cracks in particular can be very small, not visible.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Mortar rules! I used it with my waterfall to stack stones and plugged any areas I don't want water to go. It is waterproof enough for my needs. And if you need to change something later, it breaks apart with not much force.

I did have to do edge stones in cement as the mortar broke apart, but for a waterfall perfect.

Forget silicone and that black expanding waterfall foam.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Cement is an ingredient in mortar, it isn't a separate thing. Yes, I do like to throw around proper terms...sorry that offended your creativity.

Water resistance yes. Cement materials such as gunite used in pools and ponds require an extra ingredient or coating to be considered waterproof. The other thing cement materials require to be waterproof is a certain thickness and reinforcement to keep the structure stable. And that's why no mortar can ever be waterproof, it cracks from shrinking and thermal movement. The shrinkage cracks in particular can be very small, not visible.

This is tiresome, WB; I have experience with using Portland cement powder, just like my dad did, in WATERPROOFING a concrete aquarium. There was NO extra ingredients, just the powder used as a paint. You can tell me it isn't waterproof, but that is not going to explain how the water stayed inside all those years.. I'd not tell someone this if I couldn't back it up. So, believe me or not; doesn't matter. I'm passing on info that I've applied personally and with good results.

Sheesh.

Reaction score
This is tiresome, WB;
I agree 100%...tiresome.

I have experience with using Portland cement powder, just like my dad did, in WATERPROOFING a concrete aquarium. There was NO extra ingredients, just the powder used as a paint.
There are an infinite number of recipes which use Portland cement to get an endless number of desired results. It seems like you're saying you use just Portland cement "powder" (no one calls it power BTW) as a paint? I assume you do add some water. Painted over what? I have never heard of that at least by a professional. Portland + water results in an extremely brittle and weak result...if you're talking about using it as a mortar.

I tried Google, since you're not giving any details, to see if I miss something. I couldn't find anything about Portland and water used as a paint to waterproof, or for anything else except for some people who didn't know what they were doing and their poor results. I'm really trying to understand what you're talking about. I'm not just sitting here typing to piss you off.

I guess all the high tech waterproofing products out there to seal basements could be replaced with Portland cement "paint"? That sure would be a lot cheaper. I kind of think if it worked a lot more people would know about it.

You can tell me it isn't waterproof
It isn't waterproof.

Let's be clear on what waterproof means. Water doesn't "flow" thru concrete or mortar unless there's a good size crack. And that's key. Two things have to be true for concrete to be waterproof. It can't crack and is has to be formulated to be waterproof. If either of these fails the result isn't waterproof.

Water is absorbed by concrete and the water evaporates from the "dry" side. Often the surface will even appear dry, but a fair amount of water is still moving thru the mortar/concrete. Instruments are used to determine how much water is coming thru. This can reduce the life of the concrete and more and more water will be able to move thru the concrete. This is water resistant, not waterproof.

Pretty much every basement on the planet has experienced this issue unless a waterproofing membrane was applied to the outside of the concrete walls and floor. Even then water penetration can still be a problem. Most basements have a sump pump to handle the problem.

but that is not going to explain how the water stayed inside all those years..
Correct. Must be something else.

I'd not tell someone this if I couldn't back it up.
Believe it or not I actually would very much like you to back it up. I sure don't mind being shown I'm wrong in some meaningless forum if I can learn something new. I'll take that deal any day and thank you for the lesson. My main problem is I don't really understand what you'd talking about. You use terms I've never heard in strange context. So you'll have to excuse me if I haven't understood what you're trying to say. Just now in your previous post I learned you used Portland cement and water (I assume) to make some kind of "paint" applied over something I assume. I've never heard of Portland cement being used in such a way. It makes little sense to me, but if that's what you're saying I be interested in more details. However, understand I'm not going to just accept whatever you say if it's in direct conflict with reams of info available on cement products.

So, believe me or not; doesn't matter.
So far...not. If you want to explain your process rather than just being defensive I'd sure be interested and would like to change to believing..

I'm passing on info that I've applied personally and with good results.
You haven't actually explained what you'd applied.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reaction score
Your plan seems great and it would look good with granite but yes you will have to use it properly as its edges are quite sharp and is also risky. Putting the rubber liner under the granite would be nice for the water to going in the pond. Have got no idea about silicon getting stick to the granite if glossy. Would like to it after you have completed making it. Granite being costlier you are getting it from your friend so you can make a good use of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last time I'm doing this.

You think I'm going to ignore actual applications for your interpretations? Whether you've heard of this or not says more about you than anything else, WB. OF COURSE you'd add water to the 'powder', which is EXACTLY what my dad used to refer to the bags sitting on their pallet when he wanted either cement or mortar made. I worked for him in my early twenties and made each many times to understand exactly what I'm talking about. My dad used to purchase St. Mary's and Huron branded cement and mortar for his jobs (and sharp sand -- though many other cheap commercial companies would sub for the softer edged stuff). There weren't all the types listed then. You wanted cement, you ordered that, mortar the same.

For his cement aquariums, he formed them from plywood and added rebar to the corners as he had two on the ground (basement floor, also concrete) and two as 'bunk' aquariums above. ALL were over 200 gallons, which in that day, made them very large hobbist homes for his fish. He did indeed take the cement 'powder' and adding water, brushed a coating on the entire inside. He may have done this twice, not sure of that detail. He never had a leak, except by the front glass because then, silicone glue wasn't in vogue yet and he used a mastic like material. But there never was water leaking from any of the four aquariums (nor in the adjoining rooms). And these were created in the 60's, lasting beyond his death in '90, but still working in '95 when mom sold the house. So, you want proof? You can meander your way to 3921 Auburn, Royal Oak Michigan and ask the current owners if you can inspect the four cement aquariums sitting in the basement. No one in their right mind would ever try and remove them.

I also mentioned the flower boxes he'd fix this way, though that took a half inch layer of cement, not a wash, to make it waterproof. And all the chimney caps he fixed. Granted, due to the extreme heating and cooling, cracks ALWAYS happened and mastic/tar was then applied for many long years of use thereafter. Aquariums made of concrete don't go through that.

So, my definition of waterproof seems to be at odds with yours. I bet others would see that no water leaking for nigh on 30 years from a cement aquarium (bottom and one side exposed to the room, back and side attached to cinder block walls--ALL with no water leaking/damage ever) is a good definition of waterproof. Maybe there in AZ, YMMV.

So, you might want to back up your voodoo witch-hunt for all those that like to spew rumor and fallacy over the internet (as I perceive your dogging of this topic) and just take that lil trip to Michigan; a bit of humility would do you a world of good.

I realize you do bring up good points about internet info, WB, but you seem to have lost your ability to even consider or judge when someone is actually telling the truth. Must be a charm to live with. And in the end, some like me will create our projects, using info just like I passed on to the OP, and without a lot of muss and fuss. While you're having fun trying to knock the legs out from some (me) who will just shake their heads. My father was a very good bricklayer and the years of experience he had puts your efforts here to deride them, to shame.

You got nothing better to do, or can't find your way to the address I gave you, build one of your own. Cement (use 6 bag so I won't have to chide you later for not paying attention and using good standards) and pour into your form (btw, if you wet the inside of your forms, they'll give you a smoother finished surface when you take the form off). Add the rebar to give your corners integrity, some for the bottom, then, after all has cured, find some old world magic powder, Portland cement ( Huron is in Ohio, St. Mary's in Detroit - you can order from them), and apply the 'milk-shake-thick' slurry to the inside of your experiment. Let that sit and just to be sure, when cured, do it again.

AND THAT'S IT. You can do it, WB, I have faith.

And stop being so condescending toward those that might actually have something for others. You might have a lot of your facts straight and for many threads, I actually like your advice, but maybe you don't know it all after all.

You'll notice, never did I say that last applied to myself; in this case, I'm using knowledge given to me by a skilled craftsman of over 40 years experience, as well as having participated in myself, once upon a time. For him and his memory alone, I'm indulging this.

Larkin? (and anyone else reading) You there? Sorry for the tone and probably should just delete this, but sometimes, I'd like to think a person can post and not be subjected to verbal jousting.

WB, the stage is yours, if you want to continue. For me, I'm done. If you want the last word; it's yours.

Michael

I agree 100%...tiresome.

There are an infinite number of recipes which use Portland cement to get an endless number of desired results. It seems like you're saying you use just Portland cement "powder" (no one calls it power BTW) as a paint? I assume you do add some water. Painted over what? I have never heard of that at least by a professional. Portland + water results in an extremely brittle and weak result...if you're talking about using it as a mortar.

I tried Google, since you're not giving any details, to see if I miss something. I couldn't find anything about Portland and water used as a paint to waterproof, or for anything else except for some people who didn't know what they were doing and their poor results. I'm really trying to understand what you're talking about. I'm not just sitting here typing to piss you off.

I guess all the high tech waterproofing products out there to seal basements could be replaced with Portland cement "paint"? That sure would be a lot cheaper. I kind of think if it worked a lot more people would know about it.

It isn't waterproof.

Let's be clear on what waterproof means. Water doesn't "flow" thru concrete or mortar unless there's a good size crack. And that's key. Two things have to be true for concrete to be waterproof. It can't crack and is has to be formulated to be waterproof. If either of these fails the result isn't waterproof.

Water is absorbed by concrete and the water evaporates from the "dry" side. Often the surface will even appear dry, but a fair amount of water is still moving thru the mortar/concrete. Instruments are used to determine how much water is coming thru. This can reduce the life of the concrete and more and more water will be able to move thru the concrete. This is water resistant, not waterproof.

Pretty much every basement on the planet has experienced this issue unless a waterproofing membrane was applied to the outside of the concrete walls and floor. Even then water penetration can still be a problem. Most basements have a sump pump to handle the problem.

Correct. Must be something else.

Believe it or not I actually would very much like you to back it up. I sure don't mind being shown I'm wrong in some meaningless forum if I can learn something new. I'll take that deal any day and thank you for the lesson. My main problem is I don't really understand what you'd talking about. You use terms I've never heard in strange context. So you'll have to excuse me if I haven't understood what you're trying to say. Just now in your previous post I learned you used Portland cement and water (I assume) to make some kind of "paint" applied over something I assume. I've never heard of Portland cement being used in such a way. It makes little sense to me, but if that's what you're saying I be interested in more details. However, understand I'm not going to just accept whatever you say if it's in direct conflict with reams of info available on cement products.

So far...not. If you want to explain your process rather than just being defensive I'd sure be interested and would like to change to believing..

You haven't actually explained what you'd applied.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reaction score
OK, this has gotten a bit petty. I am all for definitions and adherig to a strick interpretation to avoid confusion, but this thing is getting ridiculous. I was hoping to learn a little bit from people who have been through something similar before, but this is getting beyond enjoyable. This was my first post to this forum, and because of a few responses, will be my last.

For the record, and to keep everything straight, I am planning on stacking the stones up against the wall similar to a brick veneer on a house. I am not going to be adhering them to the wall like tiles. I would trust my structural engineer friend on the brick ties on this one. I do appreciate the suggestions to switch my initial plan of using silicone to mortar. That was valuable, and one of the original questions I hoped to get some answers to. I didn't really think about the costs associated with each material before this, but the $$$ savings was what really changed my mind. I am not planning on building a temporary wall, so I will be doing more research on what type of mortar to use. I have some masons as friends, and will be consulting them as to which type of mortar to use. I have a feeling it will ultimately come down to what type is available when I make it to the store to pick it up.

opnorty - out.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
YEs, home depot sells commercial grade type S mortar. Beautiful stuff to work with. Lots of hang time before it hardens. You will have no worries.

Sorry the topic went sour for you. Battle of the experts :razz: It happens once and awhile. Don't loose hope for this forum.

Reaction score
OK, this has gotten a bit petty. I am all for definitions and adherig to a strick interpretation to avoid confusion, but this thing is getting ridiculous. I was hoping to learn a little bit from people who have been through something similar before, but this is getting beyond enjoyable. This was my first post to this forum, and because of a few responses, will be my last.
opnorty - out.
Welcome to the world of internet forums. lol
I have yet to find any forum where this sort of thing doesn't happen to one degree or another. I imagine if there was such a forum where everybody agreed on everything, and nobody had a different view point, it would probably be a very dull forum and would have very little participation. That being said, it is possible to expound your thoughts and ideas without belittling the thoughts and viewpoints of others, it just takes a little more skill and self control, and most of all humility.

Reaction score
For anyone interested in such details I posted the question of using just Portland cement and water in a masonry forum as I couldn't get answers here. Thread is here. I learned a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
And you weren't listening very attentively, WB. You should at least try to replicate what others have before you begin to belittle. When you've bricked a couple of homes, built a working fireplace, laid pavers in cement as a walkway, well, then you can start questioning someone who has.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I knew you would be back lol.

If this was the old west u guys be pulling pistols.

Clint Eastwood: "You can just ride on outa here"

[Bounty Hunter leaves, then comes back]

Clint Eastwood: "you're back"

Bounty hunter: "a man has to make some kinda living"

Clint Eastwood: "dying aint much of a living"

Well we know Clint wasted em lol.

Now I haven't figured out whom of you is playing Clint?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ah, that'd be me, padner...

seriously, I was telling my wife; wtf am I doing this for? If the guy wants to do it the hard way, why should I care? Actually, should just have said;

well, this is how I (or, my dad) did it and it worked out for him. But then, I couldn't say to WB: do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? (I didn't fire all six, in case you or WB wants to know).

or better; I couldn't say; a good man always knows his limitations. And I don't comment a lot on pumps, sizes, shapes, purposes et al, but wrt mortar, I'll not mistake WB for the Dark Lord anytime soon. Though, his eye is a glowin' brightly lately...

and thanks to your reply here, Wayne, I can say; thank you for...wait for it...making my day!

(queue the harmonica from How the West was Won), don't get in front of the horse, son; he's mighty big feet on 'im...

exit stage right, right behind the saguaro and down the mouth of the sun. Clippety clop, y'all.

Ask a Question