Stacked Granite Slab Waterfall

Reaction score
brokensword,

Message received, you consider yourself an expert mason, you've blown that horn sufficiently. I'm wrong, the professional masons are wrong, everyone else is wrong. I'm sure not trying to convince you of anything, I think that ship sailed years ago. I was trying to understand what you were talking about and now I understand perfectly what you're about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You got it wrong...again, WB. If you'd read correctly, you would have noted that I usually respect your advice/solutions around here. Probably because I'm NOT an expert in ponding and DO have to pay attention myself. You'll also note I called you condescending, which you're doing with your last comment here. That's the problem. Stop doing this and it'll change your tone. But I've also seen you reply many times that you really don't care about others that way, sort of sums up your history(s) with other fora, etc. So be it. I've been around the block, too, seen/been involved with many worse than you. The arrogance is almost a given with those 'running loose' on a forum.

I told the OP about a situation that I have personal experience with. You decided I was a liar/hack/idiot ("this is why I don't think he knows what he's talking about") and began to kick the legs out from under me. Guess I should have taken the high road and just ignored you. My mistake and your bad luck. On this forum, not a lot will banter back with you because you tend to come on as 'all knowing'. This time, you haven't the chops to contend, simple as that. I've already told you YOU'RE much more informed re pond issues and I don't press in where I know less. I don't presume as much. You on the other hand, think those on another forum have more than my father's 40 years experience and are going to cling and cleave to them. Go for it. I'll take a working model and inexhaustible experience, personal and professional, over that. There's many on the net able to claim something, MOST as part of the 'sight unseen' crowd.

Seriously, HAVE you build a house? Two? Have you built the cement aquariums I outlined above? Do you have anything YOU can pony up as YOUR proof about what you were taught? I have NO doubt you do have experience in building filters, are intricately involved in ponding. I don't assail you there because NOTHING I've done can refute what you've said re ponding AND I think you've been burned by the marketing hype. You are correct in that too many pass on erroneous info simply for monetary gain. So, ask yourself; what has this BrokenSword poster to gain here? I'm not a regular as you are, I don't want to be. I help IF I have something to add. I'm a novice at ponding, still learning and growing. I probably will NEVER get to your level of involvement because I have too many other interests to also keep up with. Your place here is not in jeopardy (except when you continue to condescend; that's surely going to be your achilles heel. Used to be a forum that had a rule; don't critique the critiquers. Would be a good one here. Give your explanation and stop making it seem like so many others are fools. We're all fools sometimes; maybe this is just one time someone else points out your same ability.

Oh yeah, you wanted the last word. Please do. See if you can make someone else's day.

I'll say what I should have, again; adding a 'slurry' coat of JUST cement 'powder' (I know you hate that term, but since that's how my dad of 40 years experience called it, I can't just go and unlearn that term; have some compassion there, hey WB?) and water to the inside of a cement container will make it waterproof, provided the structure is solidly built and has structural integrity. Do it your way if you think I'm a fool, WB. At least I've seen/done it.

Michael - out

Reaction score
I'm wrong, the professional masons are wrong, everyone else is wrong.
You got it wrong...again, WB.
BS, finally, something we both agree on.

I told the OP about a situation that I have personal experience with. You decided I was a liar/hack/idiot ("this is why I don't think he knows what he's talking about") and began to kick the legs out from under me.
You are very defensive. Liar, hack, idiot are pretty strong, hurtful labels I didn't use nor did I even consider, nor do I even consider to be true now. I don't think you should use those terms to describe yourself either. You simply gave the OP what I thought was poor advice, I asked for more info and it became clear to me the advice was poor. Yeah, I could have said nothing and let the OP possibly choose to implement your advice and make a mess of their project. Believe me, I wish I hadn't said boo and the OP had taken your advice. I often don't correct bad advice as there is so much of it in forums and as far as I'm concerned if a poster doesn't want to take the effort to do a little research then that's on them and I find it down right entertaining to watch the ensuing hilarity. I love The Three Stooges.

You seem to think I consider you an awful person...don't know you, don't want to...can't remember you from any other post...I generally don't look at who's posting, don't care. Each post stands on its own imo. To try to convince you that I don't think you're an awful person, and since you seem intent in telling me how I feel about you, I will tell you what I think of you in the hope you don't feel so bad about yourself. You gave some insignificantly tiny little bit of poor advice. Your ego can't handle any implication that you could be wrong in any way and blew a simple mistake into a big huge drama where you're the poor victim and you imagine me, and I guess all the other professional masons in the other forum, consider you some kind of monster. I don't.

People who know what they're talking about have no reason to get defensive, no need for name calling, etc. Getting defensive doesn't make a person a liar, hack or idiot. I mean yeah, I wouldn't be looking for a Nobel Peace Prize in the mail, but liar...no.

I have good news for you...this little drama will hopefully never have to play out again, at least between us. This forum allows for me to choose to not see your posts in the future. This will allow you to give whatever advice you like to posters without any fear I will ever question any point you make. You'll be free to continue disparaging me in any thread any time your ego needs a little pick me up. I don't mind in least, enjoy yourself.

Good luck to you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dayam! WB CAN be entertaining. Should have gotten the popcorn after all.

Not poor advice when I've done it, WB; you conveniently keep forgetting that. And you haven't. Those that can't do, teach. Those that can, have no time for the tedious nature of your own assessment. You've set yourself up as judge and jury; hope you get something out of it. Again, just stop critiquing the critiquer and your issues go away. You don't like what I say, by all means, ignore me. Please. Would be a welcome breath of fresh air. Until you do something substantial with masonry, anything you have to say on the matter won't mean sh*t compared to others who have. End of story. Not going to disparage you in every thread, WB, just when you can't keep your hands to yourself.

I wasn't defensive until you decided to knock what I was giving as my own personal experiences, WB, not internet-speak. That's the difference. This got personal when you figured a man of 40 years bricklaying experience didn't know a lick about his profession, nor his ability to teach it to his son. THAT'S where you stirred the pot. I swear; I wish he weren't passed away, he'd laugh his a** off with some of the things you've been trying to say. You're a small man that can dish it out but apparently, can't take it, WB. Couldn't care two spits about you, nor if you ever listen to others. Btw, it was ME who researched and 'helped' you with the 'why are my pond pics always so green?' query. You don't look/remember posters? It shows. Listening surely isn't your strong point.

Larkin? Anyone? WB claims there's a way to put someone on 'ignore' here; that so? Please tell me how as it would be Godsend about now...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gotta apologize to ya, WB; I promised you last word and renigged. My bad. Scout's promise; tis all yours.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
click you name upper right corner, you will see manage / ignore prefs

Larkin? Anyone? WB claims there's a way to put someone on 'ignore' here; that so? Please tell me how as it would be Godsend about now...

Ask a Question