Standalone bog without any circulation?

Reaction score
I have a rewilding area in my garden and i was thinking maybe to put in a bog, partially for natural diversity, partially for visual aesthetic and perhaps as some standing water for wildlife. It would mean building the bog and planting it, in identical fashion to if it were attached to a pond, but it would be standalone with no water circulation. Its not there to filter the water as such, its just there in its own right as a diversity feature, but ideally it would mean that any standing water would not go stagnant and would be good water for wildlife/pets to drink.

Would it still "work" like this or does the lack of circulation just turn it into a stagnant pit?

I note that googling result with bog gardens, which are what I was thinking but they tell you to pierce the pond liner to allow water to slowly escape, and rather than all shingle, you mainly fill with soil. I guess you then have to regularly water the bog area as otherwise it would dry out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the Forum pond construction and equipment I just placed a post about let's talk about edging in a epdm liner pond. At 10:40 in that video is a bog very similar to what your asking it also has narrative as to how it was built .

Reaction score
In the Forum pond construction and equipment I just placed a post about let's talk about edging in a epdm liner pond. At 10:40 in that video is a bog very similar to what your asking it also has narrative as to how it was built .
Thanks for that. It looks good, although I think that given it interacts with the wider pond/water, I think its a different proposition.

I think for my purpose I'd be looking at a purely shingle bog, same as a bog filter, which means I can make available a little standing water for drinking by just shifting some shingle.

Reaction score
So, you’re talking about a REAL bog, rather than a wetlands filter….?
I think what I want is exactly the same thing as a pond bog filter, but just without the pond. So it has no water circulation. But when I googled such things, I only got articles which talked about real bogs, with perforated liners and filled with mud. Whereas I did want the stones and clear standing water effect of the pond filter rather than the wet mud effect of a real bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wonder if what you describe is more of a shallow, "still water" type pond? No circulation, but with aquatic plants and some tiny creatures like newts and frogs? I think if you look way back at Mark Wilson's videos on YouTube (AnyPond) -- before he became a certified Aquascape contractor and moved into larger set ups - he had some small water gardens. Even if this isn't exactly what you want to do, I bet you will get some ideas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Doesn't standing water, with no circulation, attract Mosquitoes intent on breeding and creating more mosquitoes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think what I want is exactly the same thing as a pond bog filter, but just without the pond. So it has no water circulation. But when I googled such things, I only got articles which talked about real bogs, with perforated liners and filled with mud. Whereas I did want the stones and clear standing water effect of the pond filter rather than the wet mud effect of a real bog.
YOUR NOT TALKING A BOG THATS MORE A NATURAL RAIN GARDEN THAT SLOWS DOWN THE DRYING OUT .
sorry for caps
i did this on top of my stone wall i placed a bib liner in behind the all the rocks about 6" deep where i cut the liner in a couple spots to alow for drainage but only slowly . i have forest plants line slow growing vines and orchids growing here

Ask a Question