Bog with a pondless water feature

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
Having recently moved (again) this time to North Carolina, I'm planning my water feature. This time I'm building a pondless stream/water fall. I have used a bog for filter since meeting up with Addy back in 2011-12 and love how it cleans the water. Any one have opinions about using a bog with a pondless water feature?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm curious about this too. When the time comes to replace my liner, I may consider creating just a long stream, starting with a bog, but my main concern would be whether the bog would get enough nutrients without fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I built my bog a couple of years before digging my pond and circulated "fishy" water from an adjacent 100 gallon stock tank. It worked like a champ and I had well established plants when the pond was complete so I never had a day of pea soup.
20210803_092735.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1. I have three bogs each different in its own way there's the matrix bog. (The aquascape style )

2.then there is the pipe bog upflow not settling area

3. then there is the stagnant bog where the pitcher plants grow

Each has its own advantages. But the stagnant I doubt would do much for filtering even without fish. An upflow certainly works the best and to have the bog be the source of the waterfall that starts off the stream you just can't go wrong . You get the filtering. The bog for all the aquatic plants m I sses and animals. As well as the same energy starts the waterfall and stream its a triple header.

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm curious about this too. When the time comes to replace my liner, I may consider creating just a long stream, starting with a bog, but my main concern would be whether the bog would get enough nutrients without fish.
I'll post my progress and results. How bad can it be? :p

Ask a Question