Pumpless bog filter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there any way to add a bog filter without adding an additional pump? I’m trying to think of a way that water could siphon out of the biofalls (since it’s elevated) into the big filter but once the water in the big reaches the level of the siphon the water will stop flowing.

Anyone have any ideas? Google yielded no results.

If I can use my existing pump and add a new line to the bog I suppose that’s an option as well.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it depends on the size/capacity of your pump. For my previous pond (different house), I had my pump plumbed to both my filter and my bog. I don’t recall the GPH of that pump, but it handled both without any trouble. I had valves going to each, so was able to control the flow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is there any way to add a bog filter without adding an additional pump? I’m trying to think of a way that water could siphon out of the biofalls (since it’s elevated) into the big filter but once the water in the big reaches the level of the siphon the water will stop flowing.

Anyone have any ideas? Google yielded no results.

If I can use my existing pump and add a new line to the bog I suppose that’s an option as well.
Look into ram pumps they are a no power assisted pump the work of siphon and pressure.

And yes you can split your pipes and push water where you'd like it but when you do I strongly suggest ball valves on both lines so you can regulate how much goes where.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depending on size, terrain, etc. it is often possible to use one pump to pump to the bog, then use gravity to flow through the biofalls, and back to the main pond.

Ask a Question