Sticky Doc Bio Filter

Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone see a problem with locating the valve for the backflush pipe about 2' from the barrel? in other words, it would be barrel, 2 feet of pipe, then the valve. arranging it like this would help me hide the barrel better while still having access to the valve for dumping.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It started there, then I built a waterfal structure from block and sand followed by mortarless wall blocks and I had to extend it so I could access it.

Reaction score
I just read doc's web page. Did the filter ever evolve beyond the poultry netting setup? Did Doc ever have to add the tubes to the poultry netting in the summer? On his page, it says that 2010 was the last update. He also said this:

"This summer will tell if this is enough media, We get a lot of direct sunlight and 100 plus days for weeks at a time here, that will be the test. If i have to, I can add tubes between the netting to increase the area."

... so I was just wondering. I am just about to build my first bio filters and I want to make the best design.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The poultry fence is working better than expected. I have been happy with it an have no immediate plans to change it. Even without any fines filter pads, the water comes out like bottled water.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll be building the poultry netting setup. Sure does seem like poultry netting wouldn't offer as much surface area though. But proof is proof.

Reaction score
? my flow would be from a 1" pipe from my skimmer w/ a 1900 gph pump does it matter on the outflow size? Was thinking, could I turn one elbow up to churn the media? or was thinking of running a small pump on the bottom of the barrel to really get the media moving. Or is that overkill?

Reaction score
another ? could I come in say the middle of the barrel with the inlet via bulkhead fittings? instead of coming up and over the top?

Ask a Question