Sticky Doc Bio Filter

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I just rolled mine up. It is the surface area that matters and believe me, a bunch of pieces can be a problem, especially it they get into the ball valve.

Reaction score
Thanks Dr Dave, how many gallons is in your pond and how fencing much did you use? Do you think it would matter if there was a lot of "just water" around in other words if I rolled up a some sections but they just floated around the tank would that be a problem? Here is what the tank looks like.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:56582]

Reaction score
Yes but you were using a barrel with my set up I can't wrap it around the sides like yours. I could roll it loosely and shove it in length wise. The tank is 38" in diameter and 30 inches long. The pond is 3000 gallons or so. It looks like you used 50 feet but I'm not sure how many gallons that would take care of.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If I was using this container, I would add as much rolled fencing as will fit into the opening making sure it is not too tight. Water has to be able to flow through it so the bacteria can feed on the nitrites. This is not rocket science, it also has to do with fish load and the pond size has little to do with that.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
@mgmine every surface in the pond grows biobugs. With the right balance of fish and surfaces you would not need a bio filter. Just a matter of stocking levels.

I picked up some snow fence a couple of weeks ago. It was out of season so the gal at Home Depot found it in storage someplace. It looks like there is a bit more surface with it. It is a lot easier then chopping PVC pipe into bits. I first seen it maybe 20 years ago on a koi pond.

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I need some advise from DrDave. I built this filter a couple years ago and it has worked great. I used cut pvc pipe for my media because I had it on hand at the time. I had to pull the pvc for some deep cleaning and I don't want to go back with it. I went to your web site and the filter article appears to be gone. The main thing I wanted to check was the stand height inside the drum. Does it need to be changed for the poultry fence or should it be the same as the original with pvc pipe?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Unfortunately my web sites are being shut down due to Tripods greed. Every free site I had was over their new maximum pages and they won't allow me to update them.
The good news is, you don't have to change the height to go to the plastic fencing material. I hope to find another free web publishing site to put everything back up again. Tripod is NFG...

Ask a Question