Still beating that horse.....only figuratively

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
How can I attractively stop material, dirt, mulch, sand, ect., from washing from a sloped shoreline into the pond without using stones? The material will be placed over EDPM. I would like to grow small shade tolerant, colorful perennials in some areas.

Thank you for forever tolerating me. :)

Reaction score
The only way I know to stop erosion is to plant something that will hold the dirt back. Myrtle is a nice ground cover that can be planted in just about any area and the roots aren't deep.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Nothing actually. Just striving to get away from rock.

I just remembered a idea suggested years ago. Adhere 45 degree landscaping divider to the liner beneath the water line. This is now a barrier. Place gravel above the water down to the barrier. Any material can now be placed on the EDPM down to the gravel.

Hey, somebody critique this idea.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hard to get anything to stick to a liner, but I HAVE seen ABS pipe laid UNDER the liner to provide a "bump" that would hold back soil, or whatever.
John

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hard to get anything to stick to a liner, but I HAVE seen ABS pipe laid UNDER the liner to provide a "bump" that would hold back soil, or whatever.
John

Similar to the method that I employed for providing perimeter planting beds for aquatic plants. During excavation a dirt wall was left over which the liner was laid. The area between the wall and the pond perimeter was 1 foot deep.Either pea gravel or plain garden soil was used as fill which sloped down to the top of the wall which was disguised with rock and was 2 to 4 inches below water level. This planting area could be configured to any shape and size desired.

Reaction score
Similar to the method that I employed for providing perimeter planting beds for aquatic plants. During excavation a dirt wall was left over which the liner was laid. The area between the wall and the pond perimeter was 1 foot deep.Either pea gravel or plain garden soil was used as fill which sloped down to the top of the wall which was disguised with rock and was 2 to 4 inches below water level. This planting area could be configured to any shape and size desired.
Do you have a picture?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here is a photo taken during construction of my last pond.
planting area 1.jpg

Ask a Question