water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
HTH said:
Was it here that we talked about a product in a caulking gun tube. P51 or something like that.?
5200 or something like that, marine sealant.

ror works great for some stuff, I built up the sides with rocks, used ror here and there.

Reaction score
mgmine said:
The problem I'm having is that I don't think it is looking natural. A natural stream has dirt sides and not stones lined up but if I do it that way I'm afraid that when it rains it will wash the dirt bcak into the stream.
You are right that a natural stream does not have stones along the sides. However a natural stream going downhill will expose rocks in it's bed. When you have plants growing among the rocks at the edge, it will look fine. Ferns are really great for this.

You do have to take care of seaming your liner.

Reaction score
Here is the latest progress. I only had a few hours before the rain and black flies got to me. I decided to change some of the rocks around and replace others. I managed to get some bigger rocks on the right to replace a bunch of smaller ones as well as replace one of the larger cascade rocks with two thinner ones. Still tweaking things. The first picture is the after and the second picture is the before. It may not seem like much of a difference but every move changes the look a little.

Attachments

• waterfall change 1 001.JPG
    waterfall change 1 001.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 377
  • waterfall 004.JPG
    waterfall 004.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 352
Reaction score
Thanks Lou So far I have to agree,but then again I haven't started on the pond :) The toughest thing is trying to move the rocks and then move them again and again. I'm lucky that I have have an endless supply just laying on the ground ready to be picked up. Where possible I am trying to roll the bigger ones down hill and carry or wheel the smaller ones uphill. Working by myself I'm limited to about 200 lbs. Since I'm closer to 70 than 60 it's seems like all uphill!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They tell you to sort of drop the rock and how ever it lands that's how you put it in your stream .I also looked at pics on you tube and googled pics of natural streams and when I was collecting my rocks from streams I tried to look at how they were laying .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hth is right about children they are not locked into how a rock should be put there and put it how they want too .They have innocent eyes for the natural look

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Nature does prefer some placements like rocks lying flat but anything is possible.

unusual_rock_formations_from_around_the_globe_640_01.jpg

Avoiding uniformity across your technique is something to work for. Nature mixes things up a bit. But then rock placement is easy to over think. Just get it done and then try not to think about it for a few weeks. Chances are you will like what you see especially once the plants get going.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I take pics and wait a week or 2 and look at them with a fresh eye .Sometimes you see more in a pic than any other way .True about rock formations but most of those happened from weather and the ice age .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
sissy said:
I take pics and wait a week or 2 and look at them with a fresh eye .Sometimes you see more in a pic than any other way .True about rock formations but most of those happened from weather and the ice age .
Wind and water erosion along with freezing are about the only things that do effect rocks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also added a bunch of small rocks with the large ones. A lot of streams are a ton of small rocks with some large rocks, not all large rocks.

Reaction score
WOW some pics make me dream ! First I think I will look very natural once the vegetation around rows back... you'll be surprised how nice It will look.

Addy as usual... I think the day I move into a house with more land and possibility for a bigger pond I will take my inspiration from yours !

Ask a Question