String Algae and clay

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I all of a sudden have string algae. Doing some research and I found that a couple of things were recommended.
1. Koi clay.
2. Benneficial bacteria.

I looked up Koi Clay and found that it is Bentonite clay. I have some 100% pure bentonite clay. Does anyone know if I just put some of this in the pond if it would be harmful to the Koi? what would be a safe amount?

I have a 2800 gallon pond, with 10 small koi, and I just discovered a small baby yesterday.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
plants are the key to all algae outbreaks. ;)
Simple as that.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I all of a sudden have string algae. Doing some research and I found that a couple of things were recommended.
1. Koi clay.
2. Benneficial bacteria.

I looked up Koi Clay and found that it is Bentonite clay. I have some 100% pure bentonite clay. Does anyone know if I just put some of this in the pond if it would be harmful to the Koi? what would be a safe amount?

I have a 2800 gallon pond, with 10 small koi, and I just discovered a small baby yesterday.

There is no scientific data that supports the claims that Koi clay (Bentonite) provides a direct reduction in any algae.
Algae growth is supported primarily by two (2) nutrients...Nitrate and Phosphorus.
Bentonite will adsorb Ammonia but not Nitrate. Bentonite will only adsorb Phosphorus if it is combined with either Aluminum or Lanthanum.

Beneficial bacteria (I hate using that term) will have absolutely no effect on algae growth, string (filamentous) of carpet (sessile).

Nitrate reduction can only be accomplished proactively by the reduction of fish load or feeding levels and reactively by plant utilization or anaerobic reduction.

I would first isolate the cause. Typically string algae is an indication of an elevated Phosphorus level. I would test for Phophorus (and Nitrate). There are several
Phosphorus binders currently available. They are completely harmless to any and all aquatic life.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Bentonite clay is supposedly beneficial to koi and is said to act as a flocculant to remove suspended debris from the water. Our fish love when we add it to the water, but maybe it's just the novelty! As for algae control - I've never heard that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My koi love it also will swim over to the cloud of it and just hover in it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There is no scientific data that supports the claims that Koi clay (Bentonite) provides a direct reduction in any algae.
Algae growth is supported primarily by two (2) nutrients...Nitrate and Phosphorus.
Bentonite will adsorb Ammonia but not Nitrate. Bentonite will only adsorb Phosphorus if it is combined with either Aluminum or Lanthanum.

Beneficial bacteria (I hate using that term) will have absolutely no effect on algae growth, string (filamentous) of carpet (sessile).

Nitrate reduction can only be accomplished proactively by the reduction of fish load or feeding levels and reactively by plant utilization or anaerobic reduction.

I would first isolate the cause. Typically string algae is an indication of an elevated Phosphorus level. I would test for Phophorus (and Nitrate). There are several
Phosphorus binders currently available. They are completely harmless to any and all aquatic life.
The Phosphate and nitrate are zero, and so is the amonia. PH is 7.5

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
algae is saving you fish .How often are you feeding them at what is the temp. of your pond water I only feed mine 3 or 4 times a week there is plenty to eat in the pond .They love to eat algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
how much u feed fish ? feed them less , can b over feeding and may b if u feed less the fishes will eat algae themself

Ask a Question