String Algae and Winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I decided to leave the string algae in my stream alone this year. Partly as a result I guess I now have the clearest water I've ever had. I'm wondering what to do about it before I shut the pond down for winter. Should I clean it up now either manually or with sodium percarbonate, which I ususally use. Or just let it go and start again next spring with the algae still there.
Thanks...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, it's doing a job for you so I guess you have to decide if it's something that needs doing in the fall and winter, too. If you cut back on feeding your fish you'll have less waste so the algae may naturally die back. But your plants will also be growing less, if at all so there will be less competition for food. I think I'd leave it and see what happens - in the spirit of experimentation.

I can share this - we have algae in our pond all year long. In the winter and early spring we get some forms of algae that we never see at any other time of year. It's quite interesting to observe how the vegetation that nature provides changes with the seasons!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wondering what to do about it before I shut the pond down for winter
From wht I have seen hair algae loves shallow water and current shut down the current and will it all die off . if so i'd remove what I could

Ask a Question