String algae on waterfalls

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all! The algae is only growing on the falls. Any good method for removing? I scrubbed some off a while back and it got into the pond. Cleaned it out manually.Ill get a pic...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Turn off your pump spray with peroxide let it sit for 15 minutes or more ,(depends on sun and warmth how long ) then turn pump back on and it turns white and floats away to be caught in your filter .I would remove heavy stuff with a dollar store toilet bowl brush first .Peroxide does not hurt fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
20171022_094725.jpg
20171022_094742.jpg
20171022_094815.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Turn off your pump spray with peroxide let it sit for 15 minutes or more ,(depends on sun and warmth how long ) then turn pump back on and it turns white and floats away to be caught in your filter .I would remove heavy stuff with a dollar store toilet bowl brush first .Peroxide does not hurt fish
Thanks Sissy !

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just remove by hand. It usually comes out really easy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
toilet bowl brush is the easiest remover of the thicker stuff and finer would be a little peroxide .But algae on a waterfall also means it is helping clean your pond and protect your fish from excess nutrients in the water .You may end up with more of a problem if you remove it all .The algae is a cleaner like a sponge it collects all the bad stuff

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@sissy makes a good point about removing it - when you have that much, you need to ask yourself why and correct the problem. If it’s a new pond, (which I believe yours is) it may just mean your other plants need time to start growing and do their part. But the algae is definitely helping, and based on how green yours is, it’s helping a lot!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
pond is 3 months old at the most

Yup - your pond is still seeking it's balance. Pull the string algae off the waterfall if it bothers you... leave it if it doesn't. Eventually it will disappear. When your plants get bigger then will take up more nutrients and the algae will take a back seat.

Reaction score
Since this video I have learned that all you have to do is put it on and let it sit for about an hour. It may not look like it's gone but in a day or two it is completely gone. No scrubbing necessary. Pull out as much as you can before doing it.

Ask a Question