Summer pond care

Reaction score
Hello fellow fishies,

I'm curious to know how do you take good care of your pond this season. Do you use countless products and dozen chemicals?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
welcomeb.gif

Meyer hit the nail on the head. If you have proper filtration, you should not need dozens of products and countless chemicals. Filtration means mechanical and/or biological. If you are using chemicals, you are going down a slippery slope, and so is your pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
air ,plants and shade and not overfeeding your fish and checking the temps of your pond water

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the group -- I see you just joined..... Do you have a pond? Tell us about your pond, and we love to see pictures!

No chemicals, except dechloinator. Shade is the best solution to summer-time algae. That, plants, and not overfeeding.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! No chemicals, no additives of any sort, just plants.

Reaction score
Ditto to what has already been said with one exception and that is a good uv light. There are some situations where no matter how much you try you still have algae. So you can either live with a green pond or wait a few years for it to clear, if it ever does.

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
Hello fellow fishies,

I'm curious to know how do you take good care of your pond this season. Do you use countless products and dozen chemicals?
Not if your pond is designed properly. I have a screen filter for my pump which I clean as needed, a bog which keeps the pond crystal clear all year long and plenty of plants like irises and grasses that eat up the bad nitrates. The only chemical I use is a chlorine remover for when I need to top off the pond. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
Ditto to what has already been said with one exception and that is a good uv light. There are some situations where no matter how much you try you still have algae. So you can either live with a green pond or wait a few years for it to clear, if it ever does.
I used to have algae until I built my bog. The algae grows there on top sometimes as thick as a rug but the algae never grows anymore in the pond. Also, the algae in the bog is really easy to clean.

Ask a Question