Surface foam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all. Newbie here. I was hoping somebody could help me with a foam issue. I have a 4' x 5' x 3' deep pond and until recently I've just had a 400gph pump sitting on the bottom with piece of PVC pipe sticking straight up out of the pond to act as a fountain with no filtration. So yesterday I drained about 90% of the water out of my pond to do some maintenance and also to install my new tetra pond waterfall filter. Filled my pond back up, started my filter And in no time had foam covering the entire surface of my pond. I stuck my water hose in it and overflowed the pond to get rid of the surface foam, started it back up and in a couple of hours had foam again. Overflowed it again and still foam. Now researching pond foam on the Internet tells me that the cause is DOCs but how can this be when I'm up to almost a 100% water change as well as a new clean filter?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's possible I guess. Hard to see past the foam though. Would that cause THAT much foam?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 243

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have no idea how much "that much foam is". How many fish do you have? Do you have any photos?
Did you add anything to the pond when you changed the water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 4 Comets. I think I solved it. After Meyer's comment about spawning, I did some research on that and found that it's caused by proteins. I was trying to be frugal with my filter media and just used some old plain white t shirts that I haven't worn in years. Last night I took the shirts out of my filter and this morning the foam is all but gone. The t shirts must've had residual proteins in them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 246
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Do a second water change.. doesn't need to be a big percentage. Help dilute any dissolved detergents if any. My paranoia would be up by now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yesterday I did another 50% water change (just in case there was a phosphate issue) and got some poly fill to put in my filter. Woke up this morning to crystal clear water and no foam. So just a note to everybody, DO NOT use old T-shirts as filter media. Seemed like a good idea at the time…
Thank you everybody for your input.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 256
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Foam is also caused by falls and such. My falls makes a good bit of brine
If u turn it off all the bubbles dicipate. Also I have spawning patches that's more foamy than briney.

Ask a Question