Foamy surface

Reaction score
Hi Chaps

I have a 8000 gal pond serviced by 2 skippy type filters and a skimmer running on 3 pumps totaling about 7000 g/h.
My water had a bit of a green tinge to it in the last week or so, which I had thought was related to my bacteria waking up after the winter months (I'm in Baltimore so it gets to about 5 deg F at it's coldest). Other than the algae bloom water was fairly clean. My levels are fairly clear and PH is right at about 7.8.
This morning woke up and looked out at the pond to see quite a bit of foam. I had heard this could be due to rotting vegetation and or decomposing fish, also someone also mentioned it could be a product of fish spawning. I have frogs and frog spawn, could it be the fish spawning? It is about the right time of year for them to start is it?
Water temp is high 50s low 60s
Stock-wise I have a few 10 inch and 12 inch Koi (6 or 8) some fairly large goldfish at about 8 inches (5 or 6) and a 14 inch Catfish... I did loose at least 6 fish during the winter.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi Chaps

I have a 8000 gal pond serviced by 2 skippy type filters and a skimmer running on 3 pumps totaling about 7000 g/h.
My water had a bit of a green tinge to it in the last week or so, which I had thought was related to my bacteria waking up after the winter months (I'm in Baltimore so it gets to about 5 deg F at it's coldest). Other than the algae bloom water was fairly clean. My levels are fairly clear and PH is right at about 7.8.
This morning woke up and looked out at the pond to see quite a bit of foam. I had heard this could be due to rotting vegetation and or decomposing fish, also someone also mentioned it could be a product of fish spawning. I have frogs and frog spawn, could it be the fish spawning? It is about the right time of year for them to start is it?
Water temp is high 50s low 60s
Stock-wise I have a few 10 inch and 12 inch Koi (6 or 8) some fairly large goldfish at about 8 inches (5 or 6) and a 14 inch Catfish... I did loose at least 6 fish during the winter.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Frogs can also be the cause of foam if a significant number spawn at the same time. I suspect that the Goldfish have had their first spawn, however.

Ask a Question