JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One of my fish has gotten swim bladder and I'd like to know how to help. I've read three things online:
1.) stop feeding it, it could fix itself
2.) peas can help if the fish will eat them
3.) epsom salt

I don't know if these are true or not since I only did a quick search but I definitely know its swim bladder, and I know you guys definitely know a sure fire way to help my poor fish out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
peas help a lot i had a fish with it last year but it was because my neighbors dog got hold of him .I put it in a smaller tank with an air hose in it also .I guess it helped stimulate him to swim .No injuries from the dog but then he started acting funny .Laying upside down and not moving

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The times I've had fish with swim bladder problems (ALL fish have swim bladders; it's what happens TO the bladder that is problematic), have eventually died. When the swim bladder is wounded/hurt, the fish usually cannot right themselves and you'll see them continually try, usually ending up upside down at the surface. I went as far one time as making a specialized holding tank (this was for tropical fish, but the theory should be applicable) in which the offended fish could NOT turn (tank was 3 inches narrow, 6 inches high, 18" long), and the water was just the height of the fish. That is, a true 'holding' tank. Took about 2 months but eventually, the fish healed. He didn't swim normally but he could resume normal interactions in a community tank without flipping over on himself. I can't remember how long he lasted, but that's the only example of a fish that actually recovered for me. Whatever the problem was, it took a restraining mechanism to allow the swim bladder to heal more or less normally so air once again could be used correctly. I don't think most peeps would go to the trouble I did to save a fish, but there you go.

Michael

Reaction score
How is your fish doing? Did it survive? Did you figure out what caused the problem in the first place?

I have one with the same problem, I believe. It's a tiny one, only about 2.5 inches in length and it was getting bullied by the other fish so I took him out last night and have him in a make-shift quarantine tank (a bucket) and have been trying the green pea thing along with water changes about twice per day. I just went out and checked and he is no longer floating on his side with the current at the top of the water, he's upright and at the bottom, but still doesn't make much forward progress. He also has a distinct curvature to his body. Still, the fact that he's upright and no longer just at the top seems like a good sign, right?

Ask a Question