Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I guess I forgot to mention that on thursday I cut off the tip of my right thumb and so I am for all intents & purposes one handed. Thankfully I was left handed as a child and did not have to learn to be right handed till school so I can still easily switch but there are some things that you just need two hands for... Not to mention sticking a open wound into the turtle tank would literally be suicide although a 4 - 6 day slow painful kind of suicide :D Anyways if anyone out there prays, wishes well, casts spells etc keep me in mind because this might be a slow healer. The cut was so deep that I could not even get the stitches to pull the wound closed without the suture popping or pulling through so I had to just co with a compression wound dressing (learnt that from my dad who was a Marine medevac pilot)
PS: Time to call my nephews and put them to work... It's only child labor if you hire them right ? :p lol j/k

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh. The worst. I've done the same but luckily to my non- dominant hand. Although it's surprising how useful two hands can be! Here's hoping for a fast healing for you!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
It's hard to put clothes on without a thumb. What are you wearing now?:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
It's hard to put clothes on without a thumb. What are you wearing now?:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Nah, I could get dressed without an entire hand lol also I usually wear coveralls or fatigues when working in the turtle sanctuary which is 90% of my life :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
A young, freshly married friend of ours fell on a sidewalk. He broke both wrists and had them in casts to the point where he was handless. It didn't take long to find out how much his new wife loved him! It all worked out, but... yikes!

Good luck with healing up quickly.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
A young, freshly married friend of ours fell on a sidewalk. He broke both wrists and had them in casts to the point where he was handless. It didn't take long to find out how much his new wife loved him! It all worked out, but... yikes!

Good luck with healing up quickly.
My ex-wife would be thrilled to hear I am injured... That's the only reason I have not told her ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh I'm so sorry to hear! My husband did exact same thing two years ago and at first he refused to go to the doctor until a few hours and it was still bleeding, then he had to go to the doctor at night. It took a long time to heal and even after the wound was healed it's still troubled him a lot for a long while because all the nerves there was damaged and took a long time to heal. (he cut it off while we was cooking us dinner, he's a great cook and our knifes are very very sharp ;) )

I hope you heal up soon!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Oh I'm so sorry to hear! My husband did exact same thing two years ago and at first he refused to go to the doctor until a few hours and it was still bleeding, then he had to go to the doctor at night. It took a long time to heal and even after the wound was healed it's still troubled him a lot for a long while because all the nerves there was damaged and took a long time to heal. (he cut it off while we was cooking us dinner, he's a great cook and our knifes are very very sharp ;) )

I hope you heal up soon!
It took me a couple days to get bleeding to stop because my first stitch job went south overnight but I am too stubborn to see a doctor unless I break a bone that I physically can't set on my own... Either fortunately or unfortunately I don't feel pain the way most people do nor do I see any point in freaking out over trauma and the sight of blood...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It took me a couple days to get bleeding to stop because my first stitch job went south overnight but I am too stubborn to see a doctor unless I break a bone that I physically can't set on my own... Either fortunately or unfortunately I don't feel pain the way most people do nor do I see any point in freaking out over trauma and the sight of blood...
Same as my husband, he doesnt go to the doctor and he gets injuries all the time. The whole kitchen wall and floor were covered in blood like a murder scene because of his blood but he refused to go and even finished cooking dinner. When he decided to go see the doctor they had to burn the wound to close it... i couldn't even look at it, my finger hurt just to look at it!!!

Did you finally see the doctor yet? ;)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Same as my husband, he doesnt go to the doctor and he gets injuries all the time. The whole kitchen wall and floor were covered in blood like a murder scene because of his blood but he refused to go and even finished cooking dinner. When he decided to go see the doctor they had to burn the wound to close it... i couldn't even look at it, my finger hurt just to look at it!!!

Did you finally see the doctor yet? ;)
Nope. I got it to stop bleeding so I am just gonna wait it out and clean it with alcohol to ward off gangrene or infection till it heals over. It sounds like your husband lost alot more thumb than I did if they had to cauterize the wound. Mine ain't that severe.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well lets hope it heals fast and a good witch comes and puts a healing spell on it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
:LOL: Marshall , sorry my friend I'm not laughing at you , as I took a chunk out of my middle left finder tip two weeks ago and because of the blood thinners I'm taking ended up in A&E for stitches
A&E is the equivulent of your ER

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get well soon! I crushed my very dominant right hand thumb, years ago. I was off work for a month. Limited work when I went back. No finger nail, all bones crushed, working with patients I was not able to glove that hand.
It is tough to lose the use of a hand.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
:LOL: Marshall , sorry my friend I'm not laughing at you , as I took a chunk out of my middle left finder tip two weeks ago and because of the blood thinners I'm taking ended up in A&E for stitches
A&E is the equivulent of your ER

Dave
No need to laugh at me my brother, I laugh at me enough ;) matter of fact I am my biggest fan (well my son would disagree) lol he thinks anyone who can shred a guitar is immortal so... :D

Ask a Question