Taking out plant shelf

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Has anyone ever pulled back a liner to take a shelf out? I want to do this next Spring when I clean the pond out. Was wondering if it's hard to do. Would like to make the pond bigger, but no room to expand. So, I was thinking the no shelf would give them more space.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
We thought about doing that with our previous pond's beach area but just ended up digging a new, larger pond closer to the house. If we had done it, we were going to drain it and pull the liner over to the opposite side of where we wanted to dig further down. We would have held it down with rocks because we get wind quite often. Good luck!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I pulled my liner back to make a rock shelf, I had a plant shelf, and all of my rocks were on the outside of the pond, i pulled the liner back to make another smaller shelf to put the rocks in the pond so you couldnt see the liner. It wasn't to horrible, I didnt have to drain any water, i did get quite a bit of dirt in the water when i did it, but it cleard up in a few days. heres a couple before and after pics.

before, when the liner was showing

after i made a rock shelf and put the rocks down in the water

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Has anyone ever pulled back a liner to take a shelf out? I want to do this next Spring when I clean the pond out. Was wondering if it's hard to do. Would like to make the pond bigger, but no room to expand. So, I was thinking the no shelf would give them more space.

As they all say you will be able to do it without issues, mainly support it on the other side, i.e. hold it there, they have a tendency to plop down just as your shovel comes down.............and slice, been there done that lmao

Good idea about removing the shelf, your fish will be happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That looks so much better ididntdoit99, nice pond.

Addy, I have the bog on one side and the shelf separating the 2 and 3 foot side on the other. I don't want to take the bog out. So, the liner won't be able to pull all the way back. And yes, getting that dirt out after it falls down on the nice orange shag carpet we used under the liner .. hmm I might be getting in over my head on this one.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
roflmao, bet it is not bright orange anymore, and sort of squished shag! If there is an area you can get the liner up, you could very carefully dig out the shelf and just flat shovel out the dirt. It would be work, but it would be nice when done........think of the exercise factor!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, it will be a joint effort with my son. I can get that shelf out, he can lift the dirt out. lol There won't be any carpet in that spot after I get the shelf out. It's about a foot out and 8 feet long. When we put the shelf in, I wasn't thinking about big pots for the plants. It wasn't deep enough anyway. The tops of the pots stuck out of the water. That always drove me nuts. Something to look forward to next Spring ...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is always something to look forward to in the spring..................warm weather and flowers after the snow, you are just adding to it with a pond rebuild!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will and we will be here to be lap top supervisors! cheering you on

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh, I thought maybe you would do a road trip and help a friend out .... lmao I can see me puncturing that liner .... oh the horror !!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe you could get a real time camera and microphone and we can give you instant feedback... :censored:

Oh I can just imagine what we would hear!

Would it be feedback or laughter .... hmmmm

ummmmmmmmm both!

We will pour a cold one while you are diggin, put our feet up and toast your hard work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yea, the language would have to be censored ... lmao Wonder if I can dig and drink at the same time ... something to think about.

Ask a Question