Taro

Reaction score
anyone ever winter them in the garage? I read that you can take them out cut back the foliage to the root and leave them dry. i put them back in a couple weeks ago and havent seen any growth yet. Has anyone had any success with doing this?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had some one year and after summer ended I rolled the big pot into the garage and just left it alone after cutting back the dead stuff and the next Spring I rolled it out and it grew right back. One year I brought them into the house and they lived all winter by a bright window and out they went in Spring again. I have heard they do well just letting them dry out in some sawdust or what have you. Last year I didn't bring them in at all and I bet they are goners now..........maybe turned to mush :cool:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
phillyofish said:
anyone ever winter them in the garage? I read that you can take them out cut back the foliage to the root and leave them dry. i put them back in a couple weeks ago and havent seen any growth yet. Has anyone had any success with doing this?

Pull mine out of the pond and ground every fall, I trim it back to the bulb. It goes in the basement on newspaper to dry out for a week or two, needs to be completely dry or they will rot. Once dry I put them into several totes with newspaper and are stored in the basement until spring. In the spring after danger of frost I unpack and replant them and place throughout the pond and streams to grow. I just put mine out over the weekend and with all the rain and cool weather it will probably be a week or two before I see growth. Has the weather around you been in 70's for high temp and how cool are the nights?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
phillyofish said:

I am a little warmer than you and ours are just starting to grow, showing leaves.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
They look the same but slightly different, Elephant ears grow a large bulb and don't require quite as much water. Taro sends out runner shoots to spread and like very wet roots, there are different types of taros, black, green, marbled, wrinkled, and varigated just to name a few.

Ask a Question