Tea Colored / Brown Cloudy Water / general questions on if I'm doing things right

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes you can use trash cans , but its cheaper to use a 55 gal plastic barrel...strong and carwashes will sell them for about 10 bucks..some will give them away

Reaction score
yes, carwashes are desperate to get rid of these containers. It's what the soap comes delivered in. They have to pay a garbage company to get rid of them, so they will usually give them away to anyone who asks.

laurabeth

Laura
Reaction score
Great thanks. I've sent an email to a carwash near me. Hopefully they can help me out and I can start building my filter!

laurabeth

Laura
Reaction score
well they called me back and I can pick it up later today! yeah! I guess I'm going to be making a filter like it or not! gees. hopefully i'm handy enough...

laurabeth

Laura
Reaction score
ANOTHER question. What do I do in the winter. Right now I just leave everything and do nothing but won't the bacteria all die in the winter? Or am I supposed to run this all winter long? We get cold cold winters with a lot of snow .... and the water pretty much freezes completely

PS3

Reaction score
the bacteria will die over the winter but the fish slow down, in the winter make sure u take the pump and filter out of the pond. and get a deicer that leaves a hole
in the ice so the gas's get out and get a small air pump with a air stone
so the fish can get air and cover the pond with a huge piece of window
screen so the leafs and crud dont get in the pond

laurabeth

Laura
Reaction score
Great thanks. So I can just completely break everything down and just set it up each spring.

What sort of deicer is recommended?
The man at the store made it seem like I should be running the pump all year long, he was wrong?

Thanks so much!

laurabeth

Laura
Reaction score
OK sorry one more question ... Do I need to create a lid for my filter? What is to keep debri and rain water out? Sorry again for all the dumb questions !!!

Oh and Also, do I need any sort of that activated charcoal anywhere in this mix?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah you can take apart your filtration for the winter if you like.. no need for a deicer (heater) an aquarium pump and some air line will keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange. you can do like me and build a winter pond in your basement...
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/fish-video-else-t4899.html....this keeps me with an active filter (bacterial colony) so i avoid some of those springtime headaches. i move medias beween filters, and water between ponds.

laurabeth

Laura
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
yeah you can take apart your filtration for the winter if you like.. no need for a deicer (heater) an aquarium pump and some air line will keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange. you can do like me and build a winter pond in your basement...
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/fish-video-else-t4899.html....this keeps me with an active filter (bacterial colony) so i avoid some of those springtime headaches. i move medias beween filters, and water between ponds.

Your link didn't seem to work.
Wow that is a great idea.
How long does the bacteria take to re grow if I didn't do this?
I think I might consider this though. (If I can get the initial one built that is)

It's funny how I went to just asking this question like yesterday - to finding a barrel and getting ready to build the filter today! I'm so desperate for clear water :)

I think I've decided to go with this one
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1355&d=1252337134

Ask a Question