Temperature

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond has been around 32 degrees. I’m wondering if it’s because of the pump cooling the water too much. I have it set on a shelf about 10 inches down near the edge. The outside temperature has been around 40 during the day and 20s at night. The low is 17 tonight with an high of 35 tomorrow. Any thoughts? Would a trough heater keep the temps a little higher instead of the submersible pump? The fish seem ok and come out during the day. The pond has only developed a thin layer of ice but melts when the sun shines.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That sounds about right, since you are around the average of your daily high/lows. The main issue would be if the whole surface is frozen solid for a long time, preventing gas exchange or the pond itself freezes all the way down.

In a large pond, the trough heater would keep a hole free to allow the gas exchange or keep a small one from freezing solid. Other than that, I would rather not use one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where are you located.
If you have a submersible pump in the pond. and it's running to a stream and waterfall . This can chill the water but the temps at the surface of the pond should be cooler than at the deepest point. if your only 18 inches then not so much You could always shut down and run a aerator or a pond breather to keep an area from freezing over. what you may have to do to keep pipes from freezing or skimmers etc i don't know .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m located in New Mexico zone 7. I’m not running the waterfall during winter just a submersible pump with no pipes to agitate the surface. I measured the water depth at 22-23 inches when it’s full. It froze up during the coldest temperatures with a hole where the pump was pushing water up, but we are back to lows in the high 20-30s so it hasn’t formed any ice. I’m using a probe temperature gauge that sits on the bottom. I think it’s accurate for the most part. The fish are active yesterday because it was so warm and sunny. Thank you for your replies

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In a pond that shallow I would lean toward a pond breather. Your chilling your water with surface agitation. An air stone would also chill the water too much. And I do use air but I have a good sized pond

Ask a Question