addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
By summer my pond is almost 75% covered with lilies so I have given up on floating islands, I like a bit of open water!

The insulation foam sheets from lowes hd, work great. I used the skinny sheet, 1/2 or 3/4 inch, can't recall exactly. It looked great, grew great, but like I said gone when the heron decided to land and fish off of it. The heron landed on the net, took it right down onto the island.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
By summer my pond is almost 75% covered with lilies so I have given up on floating islands, I like a bit of open water!

The insulation foam sheets from lowes hd, work great. I used the skinny sheet, 1/2 or 3/4 inch, can't recall exactly. It looked great, grew great, but like I said gone when the heron decided to land and fish off of it. The heron landed on the net, took it right down onto the island.
I'm hoping I have the same kind of luck with my plants! The lilies have little leaves and short stems! Yay!
My blue and green froot loop floaters are just to help keep some of the crazy algae growth in check -- and to hopefully make the fish feel a little more secure till the plants grow!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is what I have done to create a floating island
From big box store purchase the blue furnace filters and a can of spray foam
Cut 2 identical sections to the shape you want your island
Take one of the sections and cut holes where you want your plants. Think small because only the roots will go into the holes This is your top.
Place a small amount of foam along the edges of the bottom cut out being careful not to get foam where the holes from the top piece will line up.
Place the top piece on the foam and let it cure. You can easily trim the excess.
Now place plants in bare root
You now have a floating island and maybe a hitch hiker
Initially the blue will be exposed but in short time you will only see floating plants. The roots will grow thru the furnace pad giving fry and small critters a place to hide

I really like your idea, Gordo33! Are those coleus in your picture? What other kinds of plants do you have in your "island" that will do well with wet feet and ok for fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I really like your idea, Gordo33! Are those coleus in your picture? What other kinds of plants do you have in your "island" that will do well with wet feet and ok for fish?
First I can't take credit for the idea I found it on a water garden site several years ago. When I used the island my pond was shade covered by a huge maple tree. So for me it was to give some color and pop to the pond. Yes those are coleus in the picture. I also planted impatients, sweet potatoe vine,zinnia petunia and a few other shade loving plants. Like @addy1 the water lilies now take up 50% of the waters surface so I did not build one last year.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you search for islands on the site @pecan built a gorgeous one for her pond. I think it was from bathroon waterproof sheetrock with holes drilled in it.
I might consider doing one this summer if I don't get a vacuum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@bagsmom you are doing great with your pond it looks beautiful. I like your waterfall area .
Thank you! I have a lot more to do, but I think it's coming along! Just a little while ago, I went out and sat -- just gazed into the thick, green depths! LOL!
I'm looking forward to the stage when the plants will shade out the algae!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks @cas and @Tula! Still a work in progress. I am sort of impatient, but then I realize it's still just March. There is time for stuff to grow!
I need to go out and get more dirt, plants, mulch, and egg rock. Busy, busy, busy. And $, $, $! :)

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm loving all these ideas for islands and @bagsmom , your pond is beautiful !!

Yes, it is!!!!!!
clap.gif

Ask a Question