Pecan Pond May 2012

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I took some pictures tonight. I can't believe how much everything has grown. Fish are happy, plants are happy and that makes me happy :)

DSCN2102.jpg

DSCN2103.jpg

DSCN2104.jpg

DSCN2105-1.jpg

DSCN2106-1.jpg

DSCN2063.jpg

DSCN2057.jpg

DSCN2060.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yep. I used that foam insulation you get from the hardware store. Cut some holes in it and stuffed bare root plants through the holes. Easy Peasy..

The fish love to hide under it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some foam, going to steal her idea, it will float colleen, she used styrofoam.

Beautiful pond, love your plants

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great job and really love your floating island and can I ask what you used as the planting medium .So you have no dirt at all just the roots dangling into the pond .Do the fish destroy the roots .I would love to try it but with koi not sure it would work .You also have full sun so everything must be working great as I see clear water .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yep, the whole thing floats. I put three larger holes for pots and a bunch of smaller holes for bare root plants. but only ended up potting the sweet flag, the canna in the center is just wedged in the larger hole. All the bare roots just hang underneath. There is a huge amount of roots hanging under there. If the fishies eat them I haven't been able to tell.

The pink foam boards used for insulation work great because you can cut them with a jig saw and sand the edges unlike regular styrofoam. They sell different thickness's I think I used the 1" as apposed to the 2".

The sheet was 8' x 4' and cost me $14 (IIRC). I also built a floating planter for one of the skippies so I could through some non-floating plants in there without pots. I have some left and might make something else. Not sure.

My pond is full sun and there were no hiding places for the fish last year other than under the lily pads. I think they are happy with the island.

I also put my winter air stone under it to give the plants some air bubbles, they seem to like it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I may have to try it but in smaller version in my pond and see what happens .I tried the screen floating island but aggie and bert destroyed that in 3 days .I think they go after the frogs that jump up there to get away .Aggie so far has killed 15 frogs and I have to scoop the remains out every morning .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love your pretty pond pecan and the island is beautiful too! Neat idea!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Pecan, your pond is gorgeous! I love your calla lilies! My favorite flower! And your island is such an awesome idea! I wish my pond was big enough that I could steal it!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can get one of those floral wreaths just big enough to put one pot in and it can float around the pond ,much cheaper than those floating rings they sell at lowes .I had 2 of them last year and got the wreath rings from the dollar store .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you! I have 2 pumps, one is 6000 GPH (IIRC) and the other is 2000 GPH. I am not sure the actual volume of the pond though. I tried many online pond volume calculaters and got a different answer each time :( anywhere from 4000 gallons to 7000 gallons. My guess is it is about 6000 gallons.

Ask a Question