Test Fish Disappearing after about 2 hours.

Eyezik

Dreams of being the Epcot, Koi pond keeper
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
came home to raccoon paws. I am still speculating if it was that, bc it was mid day and a 2 hour window. I would suspect them to be out at night more.

Eyezik

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Eyezik , im a newbie as well, but i would recommend that since you havent rocked in your pond yet, that you consider getting a 45 mil EPDM liner and replace it now. i know its $60 bucks wasted, but it will save you money in the end and you could possibly sell the liner to somebody else since its new for half price and recoup some of the money. One thing i keep seeing in these posts is "whatever you do, dont go cheap on the liner." it really is the most important part. Good luck and keep us posted!
something like this?

Eyezik

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is good liner and with free shipping, that is a plus! The 10x10 will give you a 5.5 x 5.5x2 pond.

is there a calculator I can use to best determine the size liner I would need?

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
is there a calculator I can use to best determine the size liner I would need?
you can go to thepondguy.com and there is a calculator on there. You type in the dimensions of your pond and it will tell you the size liner needed. click on learning center from the main page, then click pond volume calculator and enter your dimensions. it will tell you the size liner needed and the amount of water your pond will be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1. If you don't care much about the fish and are not doing extensive, heavy rock work, then your PVC liner will probably be fine for a few years. When it kicks the can, you can replace it with something better. If you care, I would swap for EPDM or RPE before it's too late. Lots of horror stories with PVC liners. For what it's worth, though, I built a PVC lined pond with my dad when I was a kid and it lasted probably 10 years.

2. Raccoons are wiley buggers. My pond has nothing but a few inches of rain water in it right now, and I find a new set a prints traipsing through the water almost daily. Had one little guy in there last night. Must have scared himself. Made a horrible noise while panicking to get out. Scared me too!

3. The equation for liner size is very simple. To determine length: Length + 2x max depth + 2. The +2 is to give you a foot of extra to work with on each side. The bigger the pond, the more extra you should give yourself for adjustment—you find ways to use it! Same equation for width. Keep in mind that this equation fails if, at any part of your pond, you have a hump to go over. If so, factor in the up + down of the hump. Then add a little more again because there is no such thing as a liner stretcher.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
1. If you don't care much about the fish and are not doing extensive, heavy rock work, then your PVC liner will probably be fine for a few years. When it kicks the can, you can replace it with something better. If you care, I would swap for EPDM or RPE before it's too late. Lots of horror stories with PVC liners. For what it's worth, though, I built a PVC lined pond with my dad when I was a kid and it lasted probably 10 years.

2. Raccoons are wiley buggers. My pond has nothing but a few inches of rain water in it right now, and I find a new set a prints traipsing through the water almost daily. Had one little guy in there last night. Must have scared himself. Made a horrible noise while panicking to get out. Scared me too!

3. The equation for liner size is very simple. To determine length: Length + 2x max depth + 2. The +2 is to give you a foot of extra to work with on each side. The bigger the pond, the more extra you should give yourself for adjustment—you find ways to use it! Same equation for width. Keep in mind that this equation fails if, at any part of your pond, you have a hump to go over. If so, factor in the up + down of the hump. Then add a little more again because there is no such thing as a liner stretcher.
Oh yes there is; called 'filling the pond with water! That's why the advice is to not rock the sides until you fill. Or, rock as the water is FILLING!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
HMMM is it me or did mr fishguy was it the 13 years old just seem to up and disappear he never showed his finished pond build for the neighbor

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 You may not see me here again. I'm at the next insurrection in DC or as some may call it as they did everything they could to cancel the event. So we're at the Rolling to Remember ride. You won't see any windows kicked in or fires but it will get LOUD.
20210530_091726.jpg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
HMMM is it me or did mr fishguy was it the 13 years old just seem to up and disappear he never showed his finished pond build for the neighbor
@GBBUDD I saw him posting a bit ago. @TheFishGuy - you still around?
Yeah, I haven’t been here in a while, the pond build is going slow but still going. I will probably post updates later today.

I was really just trying to find interest and stuff outside of online, because I really felt like it wasn’t great when the only time I was interested in anything was when I was visiting an online forum, but I’m here now :)

Ask a Question