IMG_6028.JPG
IMG_6031.JPG
IMG_6033.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have a local high school...... Liberty Technology Magnet school..... In addition to the computer and technology courses they have four greenhouses where they do hydroponic gardens..... They raise Koi and Tlilpia..... And use the waste from the fish for the nutrients for the Hydroponic gardens..... The vegetables are used in the school system cafeterias..... They sell the Koi and the garden plants to the public..... The Tilipa are sold to a fish processor.....but they are working on getting USDA approval to use them in the school system cafeterias. It is operated by the school kids..... The young lady that caught our fish and took our money is a senior at Liberty..... They also have a large outdoor garden..... I just think this is a neat idea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well just an update.... I bought four Koi yesterday..... One large regular Koi (12") .... It's bright yellow and orange spots (Sarah's favorite) ..... And three Butterfly's..... Two 8" long and one 6" long..... One of the butterfly's I think is spectacular..... It's dark on each side but you can tell there is orange and yellow mixed in but along its back and belly..... They are bright yellow and orange....The other two are are a mixture of black orange and yellow...... The funny thing is when I put them in the pond yesterday it reminded me of when you get a group of dogs together that don't know each other..... They all run around in circles trying to sniff each others butts..... Donald and Hillary were going nuts..... They have settled down down this afternoon.....all my string algae has disappeared from the rocks at the base of the waterfall..... Don't think the new guys have ever tasted string algae before.... All swimming around in a school and doing well...... And yes I checked my water chemistry today and will continue to every couple of days until I am sure that my filters have adapted.... Jimmy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry I will do that but I was enthralled with feeding and watching the new fish..... I went out with a flashlight this morning before I went to work to make sure they made it.... Thankfully they are fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's got to be a great educational experience for the students. Great pictures and very interesting. Just curious... that's quite a bit of new fish to add all at once. How large is your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_6036.JPG
IMG_6038.JPG
That's got to be a great educational experience for the students. Great pictures and very interesting. Just curious... that's quite a bit of new fish to add all at once. How large is your pond?
Well on day two of four new fish being added..... The ammonia is up a bit.... As to be expected.....the Nitrite and the Nitrate is still the same..... I expect the nitrates to go up because the new fish has scoured all the string algae off the rocks at the base of my waterfall, the liner, and the walls of the pond..... Being raised in a greenhouse don't think they have ever tasted string algae before.... And they like it.... Then I can see how well my filtration is going to work..... As to be expected the new guys don't like the direct sunlight..... During the day they stay in the shadows.... They will get used to it.... Donald and Hillary swim the whole pond all day don't bother them..... And in case you are wondering we are not naming any other fish..... Donald and Hillary came to us by accident and were in a very bad situation ( On inauguration day)..... So they are our anchor fish and will be with us until we die or get too old to pond anymore..... Jimmy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just an update for those that are interested.... My ammonia is still at. 50 ppm and has stayed there since I added the new fish..... But I am happy to see that my nitrates came up a small amount..... Just a change in the tint..... No nitrites yet..... I have noticed that my sponge media that I put into my skimmer filter has changed from yellow to light brown.... Water temperature has been at 74 degrees for over a week now and the fish appetite for wheat germ proves it.....got rid for the most part the foaming problem by water changes and controlling the person that feeds the fish..... Now the fun part of spring..... I have 3 large Red Oaks.... Two Popular's and various other trees that enjoy dropping stuff into the pond..... It's an every day ritual to clean out the skimmer before I go to work and when I get home..... But I will take it over winter anytime..... Thanks for all your help. ... Jimmy

Ask a Question