The bleeding eye

Reaction score
Country
India
my one of the fish [black eye fish] is having some fin problem [some black color lines on her fins ] .but now it is the most horror scene i have ever witnessed .she lost her one eye and that particular eye is bleeding very much . i have put her in a separate tub with an air pump and no medicine . please - please kindly suggest something

the fish is 6 cm
i don't have any water test kit so i can't test any levels
the tub in which i have put her is 5 liters [ i don't have bigger than that]

Reaction score
Country
India
the red color thing which was in place of her eyes has burst and a little red color part is still attached and i think it will go off in a hour or two. i have seen on internet , some other post , they are saying that cleaning the eye surroundings with mythelene blue would be ok . but the wound is open and if i try any medicine now would be dangerous i think . should i add aquarium salt or any other things?
index.jpg

this is the image when i came across fish' s diseases on internet
this fish is exactly like my fish having the eye problem
i got this image by typing -TRANSPARENT ADULT ZEBRA FISH or CASPER FISH
i exactly don't know the specie but i call her ' the black eye fish'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
it could be popeye, an infection usually from poor water quality.
you seem to consistently have fish with conditions related to water quality. If you are unable to test and improve the water quality, I suggest not raising fish and maybe water plants instead.

dropping medicines on the fish will not solve your problem. It will just mask what we've all suspected as water issues.

Reaction score
Country
India
it could be popeye, an infection usually from poor water quality.
you seem to consistently have fish with conditions related to water quality. If you are unable to test and improve the water quality, I suggest not raising fish and maybe water plants instead.

dropping medicines on the fish will not solve your problem. It will just mask what we've all suspected as water issues.

for timing can i do something ? i have moved the fish to 12 liters tank and she seems ok , she is eating her food .but all the time she is just sitting on the gravel. i have already given my two kois and there are only two goldfish left in my 25 liters tank . can i add some medicines [ like - API ammo lock or zeolite as she is suffering from ammonia burns too] so that she can feel comfortable or should i buy her some special food which would maintain her proper health . after how many days should i add her in my old 25 liters tank with 2 gf .

i know that i sholud not raise fishes but i promise i will give my all the remaining 3 fishes after the black eye fish gets perfect to live

for that i would need your support .please kindly suggest something.

EVERY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

THANK YOU

Reaction score
Country
India
PLEASE IF ANY ONE CAN SUGGEST A BEST MEDICINE FOR AMMONIA BURNS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL
I CAME ACROSS ONE- AMMO LOCK WHICH I CAN AFFORD EASILY .

Reaction score
Country
India
should i add any medicines like - stress coat or anti bacterial [ which is specially meant for pop eye] or anti parasitic in the tank in which i have kept her and should i get the ammo lock
can i now put her back in the old tank

since it is 25 liters of tank how many times sholud i change the water in a week to avoid ammonia poising in the whole 25 l tank

please advice something

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Honey, the best you can do is keep her separate. Find homes for the two goldfish if you can, and if you know she has ammonia burns, she needs frequent fresh water, a better filter, and a bigger tank. I know you can’t provide all of that, you are still learning. What kind of filter do you have? You need one that has benificial bacteria to break the ammonia down into less harmful substances that can be filtered out with water changes, and plants. Talk to the pet store about filters, and follow King of DIY on YouTube if you can, he can tell you how to make a filter if you can’t buy one. Goldfish put off a lot of ammonia, and other waste. They’ve given what advice they can, this thread doesn’t get a lot of traffic.

Reaction score
Country
India
Honey, the best you can do is keep her separate. Find homes for the two goldfish if you can, and if you know she has ammonia burns, she needs frequent fresh water, a better filter, and a bigger tank. I know you can’t provide all of that, you are still learning. What kind of filter do you have? You need one that has benificial bacteria to break the ammonia down into less harmful substances that can be filtered out with water changes, and plants. Talk to the pet store about filters, and follow King of DIY on YouTube if you can, he can tell you how to make a filter if you can’t buy one. Goldfish put off a lot of ammonia, and other waste. They’ve given what advice they can, this thread doesn’t get a lot of traffic.

i have kept her in another 12 liters tank and unfortunately the aquarium which was near to me is closed for 2 months so i can't return them nor my any friends or relatives want them. i am sure that she has ammonia burns as she has all the symptoms of it :
  • Lethargy.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Hovering at the bottom of the tank (especially for surface dwelling fish)
  • Gasping at the surface.
  • Inflamed gills.
  • Red streaks or inflammation in the fins.
  • Inflamed eyes or anus.

i just want you help in selecting the right medicines . i m changing the water every second day
i have a sponge filter like this -
index.jpg aaa.jpg

but in her tank i have put a small filter just like this [ i have 2 filters - 1 big in big tank and the other is small in small tank] with an air pump.

Reaction score
Country
India
20180126_152114.jpg

for clicking the photos i have put her in the tub

20180126_152237.jpg

20180126_152554.jpg

20180126_152655.jpg

this is the tank in which i have separated her . its a plastic tank.
20180126_152828.jpg

this if not money plant but another plant . these plants live in water and in soil too.
20180126_153005.jpg

can i put these plants permanently with the black eye fish , i mean that is there enough space that i can put them in it ??
the filter in it is very powerful and it is switched off now in the pic

20180126_153926[1].jpg

this is the air pump which i have now put i in the tub and will transfer to the 12 liters tank when i shift the black eye fish to it

i think this is sufficient info , please now i request you all to help me to save a life

Attachments

• 20180126_152912.jpg
    20180126_152912.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 241
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don’t know much about fish meds, but I will see what I can find. Before I do so, is the water from a well, a town supply, or rain? If it has been chemically treated, that could be part of the problem. I am a novice fish keeper, but I have learned that the very best treatment for most fish problems is good water. Parasites need meds, but if it is a chemical issue, fresh water with out chemicals will fix it, over time, and if it’s not too bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How did you decide the fish has ammonia burns, did you test the water? If the water test revealed high ammonia and the fish's gills were damaged, unfortunately there is nothing you can do...the damage is permanent. This is why it's important to maintain good water, as a preventative measure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
How did you decide the fish has ammonia burns, did you test the water? If the water test revealed high ammonia and the fish's gills were damaged, unfortunately there is nothing you can do...the damage is permanent. This is why it's important to maintain good water, as a preventative measure.

Tula I hope you have been holding the fort since my year away , the filter and setup your koi is in as a hospital tank is not at all suitable neha you need a bigger tank with a much larger filter than this .
Looking at your koi I see that it has lost its right eye and has some damage to its dorsal fin , if you keep it in that tank with that filter then you will end up loosing it the sitting on the bottom being an early sign this may well be happening .As for the missing eye both goldfish and koi can live just as well being blind I've seen a Blackmoor that had had both eyes sucked out by a normal goldfish which did very well and lived for many years .
Please keep me updated on its progress whilst I try to get back up to speed

Dave 54

Reaction score
Country
India

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY
i don't have a water test kit nor i can afford it .I really think that it might be ammonia burns as first when my exams were going on i was less bothered about the water in the tank , it was 2 months ago. and from that time she is having these marks on her fin and body. but now i change the water frequently to remove these marks

do you think that by changing the water frequently or by using any medicine like ammo lock i can remove these marks?

ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

THANK YOU

Reaction score
Country
India
Tula I hope you have been holding the fort since my year away , the filter and setup your koi is in as a hospital tank is not at all suitable neha you need a bigger tank with a much larger filter than this .
Looking at your koi I see that it has lost its right eye and has some damage to its dorsal fin , if you keep it in that tank with that filter then you will end up loosing it the sitting on the bottom being an early sign this may well be happening .As for the missing eye both goldfish and koi can live just as well being blind I've seen a Blackmoor that had had both eyes sucked out by a normal goldfish which did very well and lived for many years .
Please keep me updated on its progress whilst I try to get back up to speed

Dave 54

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY

i think that she is not a koi but some another specie .i have only that tank and can't get a new one nor i can make one. i am thinking to get the medicine ammo lock but i am scared that is it will not work then my parents would scold me because then the money would be wasted and they think that i am just going mad on fishes

i will also do frequent water changes to save her life.

THANK YOU

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY

i think that she is not a koi but some another specie .i have only that tank and can't get a new one nor i can make one. i am thinking to get the medicine ammo lock but i am scared that is it will not work then my parents would scold me because then the money would be wasted and they think that i am just going mad on fishes

i will also do frequent water changes to save her life.

THANK YOU
It may be a goldfish or maybe a hybrid does it have barble's around its nose and mouth ? When ding water changes one must always add a dechlorinator/decloromine to avoid burning the gills.... you must also match the temperature of the water with that of the tank to avoid stress ,, even if doing exams it is vitally improtant you keep on top of things which means regular water tests , water changes filter cleaning etc .
Never overfeed your fish nor add new fish into the tank without giving them 4 weeks of quarentine first .

Dave 54

Ask a Question