The Blue Birds are back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Lucky you! How do you keep the sparrows from taking over the Bluebird's houses?
I tried hanging the birdhouse higher but sparrows took it anyway

Beautiful pics!

The bird house is on a pole about 4 feet off of the ground. Never any birds in it except blue birds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Beautiful pics! Here we have them, but they choose to make nests in paper boxes under the mail boxs. Ever heard of this? I see it all the time. They even raise babies with a newspaper being put in the box everyday.

We have a planter with flowers on the front porch. There seems to be birds nesting in it every year. There scare Margo when she waters them sometimes! LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lol I had to google "gaudy blue gourd" I had no idea what it was!:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have bluebirds nesting this year as well. It was touch and go for a while between bluebirds, sparrows and swallows. I removed the sparrow nests each time they started. Five eggs were layed and hatched by the bluebirds.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I let what ever wants to nest, nest wherever they want to. We get a good mix of birds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
After the bluebirds fledged, sparrows immediately took the birdhouse. Good news is either the same pair or a different pair of bluebirds moved in my third and vacant house. Four eggs this time, hatched at least two yesterday, but boy, were the sparrows hassling them. So far, they have kept them at bay.........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nice pics, blue birds are one of the more brightly colored birds in my area.

I have blue birds in 3 out of 5 nest boxes on the property. Other 2 have chickadees in them.

@Gemma, keeping sparrows out can be a pain. I do it by yanking out there nest, they eventually will give up.
Have you tried and had any success with the hole reducer extension thingy??

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wonder if you seen a indigo bunting?

@RobAmy I finally got a somewhat decent shot of the bird, through dirty windows, hanging onto a barking dog..........She sees me pick up the camera and knows there is something to see and bark at.

IMG_2800.JPG
IMG_2801.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh yes. They are indigo buntings. Beautiful. I only seen one here this year and very briefly.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have you tried and had any success with the hole reducer extension thingy??

One of the houses has the hole extension/predator guard. The others do not. So far no major issues with predators, probably should add them to the other boxes, as it is only a matter of time before raccoons figure it out.

I need to check some of the nest boxes to see what is going on haven’t really looked to see what is happening in a couple of them for a bit.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh yes. They are indigo buntings. Beautiful. I only seen one here this year and very briefly.
Thanks, I see it now and then, always on my bird feeder. Have not seen it out in the yard. It is a lot more nervous than the other birds.
It is a beautiful blue, I keep trying to get a good picture that was the best so far.

Ask a Question