The dump

Reaction score
My yard was literally the dump at one time. After the last hurricane, a bulldozer pushed all the remains of the destroyed building here and the walls made of coral. As you can see, there are millions of chunks of coral everywhere...

agave004_zpsab19e732.jpg

One of our Canadian neighbors came by, he is leaving for the summer and he asked us if we wanted to "dig through his trash pile for some plants." It was a sad sight, large, beautiful Agave cactus, some cut off at the roots just thrown into a pile to die. Digging a hole here is a challenge itself...

agave003_zps45a703b6.jpg

But, with a little effort, I got two holes dug...

agave005_zpsc11b12e1.jpg

Topsoil is a precious commodity here, there is only an inch or so, laced with coral, so you save it for planter boxes. I'm going to cover the yard with coral gravel and don't want to lose what little good soil is there...

agave002_zps09da20bc.jpg

So, finally I got two of the salvaged Agave planted and watered, I hope they make it...

agave001_zpsfc714368.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are tough plants, should do just fine.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If she makes it she'll give you good healing gel for your owie's as a thank you for saving her :luxlove:

Reaction score
j.w said:
If she makes it she'll give you good healing gel for your owie's as a thank you for saving her :luxlove:
J.W.

I think you have Agave confused with Aloe vera. The Aloe vera plant is used for topical treatment of "owies" and the Agave plant is used to make Tequila to forget the "owies". ;)

Catfishnut

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep you are right Catfish. I had a nice Aloe Vera once and the gel was soothing. Agave will sooth your cares away too in a different way but if you get too close to those points it might give you an owie :0000000057:

Ask a Question