The necessity of filtration?

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
So, now that we know you're on board with filtration...what are your thoughts as to what you'll do/design for your pond?
Probably one or 2 of those 55G drum designs...they seem simple enough to make and most reasonable for materials. I do have a guy that is supposed to be getting me a 150G plastic tub that I originally planned to use for the greenhouse and garden to water with (collected rainwater from gutter) but if I do get it I may have to rethink its use. Ive been waiting for it for 4 months though and he keeps saying he is getting one but I wouldnt bet on it anymore.

aviator79 said:
Stones in the pond? Not a good idea.
Nothing sharp edged, it would all be relatively smooth stuff...is that a problem? I thought I saw photos of ponds/streams with stone in them and some even with a shallow layer of sand on the bottom on the liner also.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
in a natural stream or river there is a steady flow of fresh water with a good current running across them in a pond like ours, once again we are circulating the same body of water over and over again. the rocks on the bottom of a pond allow fish waste plant matter and such to accumulate between and below them, this debris decays and releases toxins into the water. this is one more reason for a good bio filter. if your building a stream that is where you want to confine your rocks too.. they will build bacteria and have that steady flow across them to add additional bio filtering, and water polishing to boot.

Reaction score
lol! Yes, no rock in the water, buck. Outside and around is fine, but placing rock inside the pond is just a headache as koiguy points out. Very hard to keep things clean and you invite bacteria and parasites to invite. Smooth bottom pond only.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
But Buck you are way ahead of the game asking ???
before you have to do it twice...

Ask a Question