The Perfect Koi Pond- DIY

DouglasHoover

Douglas Hoover
Reaction score
You did't get it water bug- it's called an analogy not a straw man. I read your entire post as a courtesy even though it was extremely critical, after all isn't a forum a place for expression, explanation, debate and opinion and disagreement- thank you for extending the newbee the same courtesy?

You supposedly agree... "This is a public forum, people are free to post whatever they like. Freely offering opinion at dinner parties is a faux pas, in a public forum it is a requirement. It is the entire purpose of public forums."

​We should attack the topic or opinion not the person... Often people get angry when their beliefs are challenged because they are unable to differentiate between who they are and their beliefs. A challenge is not a personal attack, it should provide an occasion to prove their own beliefs but since most don’t know why they believew or what they believe they feel uncomfortable. If they don't like an opinion they don't want to debate anymore- they take their ball and bat and go home where it is safe. Come on waterbug, we can't finish the game without the ball and bat.

Ball and bat was an analogy! :banghead3:

:wacko: I tried in several post to simply explain that my dislike for liners was due to the fact that there are thousands more here in southern Cal and in my opinion as many as everywhere else combined- why is everyone defending their beloved liner pond- if it hasn't been comprimised yet, count your blessing, don't attack me and my dislike of liners- there are more example of liner failures here because there are more liners- can we at least agree with that and let me move on to other topics- I'm so sorry if you thought I was attacking your DIY beloved liner pond- I was simple saying if you can afford it, avoid it- relax I'm not going to mention all the reasons why again.

I love this feisty group- at least if a visiter is curious about which pond construction to use they will now see another choice... :heartpump: Peace and joy and happy koi- Dougie

[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:342]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't really think any one is attacking anything .I just think it may be that for the simple just wanting a pond owner is not going to or willing to spend the money on a concrete pond .Here ponds are not good for resale .Part the economy but also electric rates and i don't want to be bothered .I know when i put this up for sale the pond will have to go .I can just take the fish out empty the water take out the liner to move it to the new house or slit it and back fill it .Concrete I will have to break a hole in it or it will fill up with water and dirt will be washed out .I don't have money to waste on a concrete pond because like you I am retired .Gosh I remember the cost of cement for my basement and all the heavy trucks packing down my lawn .The pumper would have been even more money .Now that the landscaping is done and the driveway is done and believe me not easy when you do all that by your self ,well except for the drive way .I did spread the crusher run for the driveway with a front end loader .I am also over 200 feet from the road .Most would have there landscaping done and would not be easy to get cement to the pond sight .Gosh have you seen how much those trucks can destroy things .I would be crying my eyes out after all this work .9 years of my sweat and tears no cement truck shall tread on it .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:35709]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:35109]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:46202]

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
:disappointed_anim: I hope no one comes across the street to kick my dog

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh kicking a dog you would be in jail kicking a person no big deal :razz:

Reaction score
DouglasHoover said:
Private message content removed by Admin
WOW!!! Now THIS is RUDE. Private conversations are PRIVATE conversations between individuals. WHY would you post it to the thread for all of US to read? Who cares if Dave says he owns a site in private that he says you can check out, when he even says HE likes THIS ONE, more than his own. That is hardly a solicutation to draw BUSINESS. You ask Dave in this context why HE is so mean? You are the one, and ONLY one here, throwing temper tantrums if anyone disagrees with your OPINION for any reason, and border on being a bully with your hot air. NOW, instead of continuing a private conversation IN PRIVATE, or even just stop talking to Dave, spam the group with this crap??? For real??? GROW UP!!!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
OK, I've been notified three times in the last 24 hours about this thread. This is my one warning, Tone it down or one of the mods or administration will. I've let this ride out to allow debates to be brought up. Hopefully so all can learn from it. Nothing is to be learned from anyone with all this. There is no perfect pond, Liner or cement. None are 100% perfect and each has it's pro's and cons. It's that simple. Private is private, If it's meant to be private leave it that way. If the discussion is public then it's public and we are all having to read it. I've allowed for personal websites to be posted as long as it wasn't direct advertisement as I feel all can learn and enjoy others success. But I won't keep tolerating the slamming of members. Stop it now or this thread will be closed.

Reaction score
My appologies Larkin. I know I shouldnt have said anything. Just hated seeing a private conversation become a public attack on a long time member. Leaving this thread (again).

DouglasHoover

Douglas Hoover
Reaction score
I apologize, I seriously did not realize it was private, it looked like a regular post to me so I was simply pasting it for reference.
I will definitely tone it down, I feel like I jumped right in the middle of a touchy click- I will be nothing but gentle and agreeable, promise, thanks for the warning Larkin and Dave. doug

Reaction score
This is a newbie question but I need some experience. I live in Nebraska freeze these cycles are horrible here. Would a concrete pond hold up or should I just go with the liner I have which is 45 mil

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
liner is cheaper and since you already have it you are half way there and since you got a great bargain use it .Colleen and others up in Canada have liners and are colder than your state .You bargain hunted and won . :razz:

DouglasHoover

Douglas Hoover
Reaction score
Hope this answers your question...

A liner is cheaper than reinforced concrete and it is obvious by your question Corius, you at least know liners have limitations and much shorter life spans than reinforced concrete. If after conducting a thorough research and decide to invest in reinforced concrete, you can always sell the liner on Ebay, don't feel you need to use it because you already have it.

Here are some published articles pertaining to concrete ponds... pumps- filters- UVs- plumbing- installing drains and skimmers- venturi valves- lighting- electrical- maintenance- concrete or wood bridges....
There are several articles pertaining to liners vs reinforced concrete- There are hundreds if pond located in subzero climates! If built properly they will not crack- Shotcrete-7 sack mix w/ stealth fiber- walls of pond slightly sloping outward from the bottom- causes freezing ice to slide upward rather than expanding sideways causing pressure on the sides.

I've been building concrete ponds for 30 years and have never used a liner even though I could have made twice the profit, because I saw all of the issue that liners are susceptible to. Liner construction is cheaper, easier, takes minimal skill to install and to adjust later. I won't discuss all the reasons here why I refuse to use them to make twice the profit. You will read why in articles- then you make your decision based upon total facts, not here say, opinions or suggestions. Enjoy, Doug H

This download of articles is from Amazon.com a safe secure encrypted server
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=4taFz-yETxog55oxyxB5ac
[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:343]

[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:342]

Reaction score
corius said:
This is a newbie question but I need some experience. I live in Nebraska freeze these cycles are horrible here. Would a concrete pond hold up or should I just go with the liner I have which is 45 mil
Do you plan to do it yourself, or hire a professional?

If you plan to do it yourself, are you confident working with concrete products, or have the aptitude where you are comfortable learning what you need to know to do it yourself.

If you plan to hire a professional, WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?

Reaction score
The budget is around 10k. I'm more worried about the durability cause my driveway is starting to crack after 3 years. I think you have helped me make a decision without knowingit thank you to all who responded

Reaction score
The budget is around 10k. I'm more worried about the durability cause my driveway is starting to crack after 3 years. I think you have helped me make a decision without knowingit thank you to all who responded

A

Ask a Question