The pond dig has begun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, so here's my newest plan. And, I promise to take a picture at least tomorrow, if the rain does not stop today. Dug in the light rain, got lots accomplished, hoping one more day and the digging will be DONE!
If you are sitting on my deck, waterfall is on the right (south end). That end will be 4' deep, or maybe 4' in the middle, which is somewhat narrower than the left end (North end). If I make the deepest part in the middle, then both sides would somewhat flow to the middle, and the water pumped from there will go through the filter, behind the waterfall. So my thought is one pump to pull the water from the middle, in pipe inside the water, pipe comes out next to the waterfall, but dug into the ground, to the back and in the bottom of the filter container (a DIY type that I will make).
Then there will be a bog on the far side (east side, farthest from the deck), and my plan is to have the ledge about 6" above the water line, the depth of the bog at this point is planned to be about 12". Is that deep enough? Is there any dirt that goes in there, or just water plants? And, I will have another pump that will run the skimmer on the north end, and put that skimmed water around the edge (northeast side) to the bog, and run it through there, over the edge to make another small waterfall effect.
Will this work? If so, then I have a plan and will draw it out and ask my boyfriend to help me figure size of second pump, and all the lengths of pipe and connections I will need. Oh, and that second pump, I plan to also run a small fountain to help with water oxygenation, assuming that the skimmer will not take that much power to fun, but maybe I'm wrong.
I have a feeling this pond is getting VERY expensive, but at this point, I'm having so darn much fun, it doesn't really matter! LOL After all, I have all these free bullfrog tadpoles .... :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
http://www.aquasupercenter.com/products/Advantage-Man-Evolution-ESE-Series-Pond-Pump-1/3-hp-115v---Highly-Efficient-Low-Pressure~29700.html

here is a link to the evolution series pumps. Dodad on this site sales them. I picked mine up used they may not offer that one anymore.

http://www.evolutionpumpsale.com/

I have a link to it, but on my computer that is at home.............

Here you go! lol

http://www.evolutionpumpsale.com/Evolution-Pumps/Evolution-ES-Series-Pumps-p-370.html

mine might be the es4500 lol ..................

will answer other ??'s when we get back from dinner hungry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks for the site, Addy. I've been looking on E-bay, and pricing pumps. I'll post what I've come up with and ask for recommendations. I guess if anyone has one they would NOT recommend, that will be the biggest thing! I'm still not positive I need a skimmer, but am still playing with the idea. My original thought was waterfall pulled from the bottom, to clean the water, and fountain to move air into the water. But, seems most recommend the skimmers. I guess with my size of pond, I should entertain the idea for sure! Hoping to get digging done tomorrow. Rained all day today, but just lightly, so I got a good 3 hours of digging done. I'm hoping to get the rest done and the pond measured for liner tomorrow. I've pretty much decided to do an underlayment, PLUS extra liner under any stone ledge and carpet (if I can find some for free, which should be fairly easy, if anyone is replacing) up against any roots or rocks on the sides or bottom. So far, I have been VERY lucky, and came upon probably an 18" thick and 2' wide (and I have no idea of how deep into the side it is) foundation stone, but it was within 2" of the side wall, so I'm leaving it, but will use extra underlayment or carpet against it.
Thanks again for all your help, Addy! I really appreciate it. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CountryEscape said:
Then there will be a bog on the far side (east side, farthest from the deck), and my plan is to have the ledge about 6" above the water line, the depth of the bog at this point is planned to be about 12". Is that deep enough? Is there any dirt that goes in there, or just water plants? And, I will have another pump that will run the skimmer on the north end, and put that skimmed water around the edge (northeast side) to the bog, and run it through there, over the edge to make another small waterfall effect.
Will this work? :)

You can have it two ways, one just water with plants in it like a plant filter. Or a bog with pea gravel, 12 inches is a good depth. If you do the bog, have the skimmer plumbing go to the bottom of the bog with pipes run under the pea gravel to distribute the water through the gravel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Re: The pond dig is completed!

Well, I did it! The pond is dug, I ran a string along the side-to-side and end-to-end to measure for liner. I'm one tired puppy, but feel so invigorated at the same time! I started this on May 6, and finished it on May 15...not bad for an "older" lady! LOL
Here are the specs: I'm standing in the south end, and the waterfall will be behind me. (Sorry for the muddy clothes, but I just didn't think you would believe I did all the digging if I changed clothes. :lol: ) That end is 41" deep and about 8' wide. The middle of the pond, at the narrowest part, is 48" deep and the north end (farthest from waterfall) is also 41" deep. I really did not mean to make it this deep and this long, but hey, I guess if you're going to do something, you should do it well. Everyone on here kept saying "make it bigger", so I did!
I'm ready to order the liner, going to also get an underlayment, and use some old carpeting if I can find some for a few spots that are extra sharp, like the 2'x4' foundation stone I was able to leave in the wall, but it sticks out about 4" at the top edge. I have a feeling I would have still been digging if I'd had to remove it.
Tractor was a HUGE help! I don't mind digging, and the dirt was actually very easy to dig (not like those of you who have ponds in AZ!), but the hauling it away wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow was getting VERY old. Tractor scoop help probably 6 of what I would put in the wheelbarrow ... so I could still move it and dump it!
So, now I need to figure out and order the pumps, skimmer, etc. Going to have a plant bog on the inset/curve side. Addy recommended pumping the water from the skimmer to the underside of this bog, and have it come out under the pea gravel. Got it! The waterfall will siphon from the middle of the pond, and go into the bottom of a DIY filter at the back of the waterfall. Thanks so much for teaching me how to build one. Just have to buy all the parts now.
Well, the hard part is done, the exciting part begins ... well guess maneuvering the liner is going to be fun, but my trusty tractor can at least carry it to the pond for me. :)
Patti

Attachments

• Finshed I.jpg
    Finshed I.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 613
  • Thanks goodness for my tractor.jpg
    Thanks goodness for my tractor.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 665
  • North end finished.jpg
    North end finished.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 625

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looking good, That and moving roscks are the two hard parts, all the rest just messes with the brain....LOL Going to be very nice when all done.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great job! keep us updated! Triple measure the liner lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, crap! I just remembered I forgot (does that make sense???) to make a ledge at some point in the pond to lay a flat stone on for the fish to get underneath to hide. And, the idea of putting any dirt BACK into the pond is not appealing to me at the moment. Hmm . . . may just have to scratch that idea, since it's deep enough for them to surely get away from any danger. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can use the large black drain pipe, strawberry pots, clay roofing tiles all work for a hiding place for the fish. So don't put dirt back lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy you have the best ideas! And, now that I think about it, the stone would have made cleaning the bottom pretty hard, so I'm glad I did forget it. I'll make note of your options for hiding places so I don't forget. LOL That's what I do best these days .... forget!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing your brain is in the overwhelmed stage of pond building. Keep plugging away and ask any ??'s better than goofing which most of us have done!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I see you didn't make one big goof up mistake I did on my first deep dig. LOL You left yourself a way to get in and out, You'll be glad you did! I didn't on the first one and everytime I have to go work on that pond for some reason or another I have to get in that thing. 4' straight down walls all the way around that beast. In the spring that is the coldest pond I work on period! Good job,

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Looks good up there !!!
I made hiding places out of large flat rocks , and a few other pillar rocks ..like a bench the fish like them

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
I see you didn't make one big goof up mistake I did on my first deep dig. LOL You left yourself a way to get in and out, You'll be glad you did! I didn't on the first one and everytime I have to go work on that pond for some reason or another I have to get in that thing. 4' straight down walls all the way around that beast. In the spring that is the coldest pond I work on period! Good job,

My pond in arizona didn't have an easy out, it was a real pain to get out of. This pond has a walk out area, easy to get out of.

Ask a Question