Anyone hired a crew to dig their pond?

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by Gemma, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Gemma

Gemma

I'm getting a bit frustrated with people posting ads and not responding to inquiries
    We sent out requests for an estimate (for digging our pond and dispose of the dirt) to several contractors but we are't getting any response, does anyone have an idea what companies might charge to come dig a whole (and dispose of the dirt), less than 30'x30' by 4.5' ?

Gemma, Jun 18, 2018
    MitchM likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

MitchM

Yes Gemma. :)
    I just had a "crew", well, one guy with a mini backhoe plus me with a transit for berm level.
    The helper basically did some weeding around the garden....

The mini backhoe was $300 for the day from a local rental centre and the 2 guys were $700 for the day. I used my own transit.
    The finished pond hole is about 35 x 35 x 5 feet deep.
    I used any excavated dirt for berm buildup and to level out some other low spots in the yard.
    It took one day.

MitchM, Jun 18, 2018
    Telion likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

Gemma

1000$ and a day work isn't bad at all!
    Thank you, @MitchM this really helps!
    ....now I'm hoping to find someone willing to do business, not just talk about what they could do. :)

Gemma, Jun 18, 2018
    MitchM likes this.
  4. Gemma

Lisak1

We did. Hired a local hardscape company - they also installed our pacer patio. My husband had to direct them as they weren’t experienced pond diggers but they knew how to work the machines! I think we paid about $1000 plus disposal for the dirt. That was for three guys for two days with equipment. They also moved some of our bigger rocks for us and set some stairs.

Lisak1, Jun 18, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  5. Gemma

MitchM

Call Home Depot for a start and find out their rate for machine rental.
    Home Depot here was about $450 for an 8 hour day compared to the local rental company that was $300 for 24 hours.
    Maybe even rent for 2 days, dig it yourself, learn along the way and have some fun doing it!
    The machine we rented came with a 12" bucket with teeth plus a 24" smoothing bucket.

MitchM, Jun 18, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  6. Gemma

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I loved using my tractor digging the pond. Just took some seat time to figure it out.

addy1, Jun 18, 2018
    Gemma, Telion and MitchM like this.
  7. Gemma

Tula

We totally lucked out and met the nicest, most honest pond builder :) He did our whole thing, labor, materials, hard scaping....everything....I think it was about $3000, but this was about 14 years ago.

Tula, Jun 18, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  8. Gemma

Angel

did my 16x18x4' and stream by hand only machine was a rototiller to break up clay. estimated cost. food, x beer, nagging the wife = priceless.

Angel, Jun 19, 2018
    johnnyi, Gemma, Telion and 2 others like this.
  9. Gemma

MitchM

Hopefully you got a new smoker out of it.

MitchM, Jun 19, 2018
  10. Gemma

GBBUDD

Home depot here in ct rents a mini terex with a thumb for 370 a day including a trailer for towing. A lot of your rental stores now are charging for the use of a trailer. The whole unit is " legal for a 1/2 ton truck " so i'm told I have a 350 6.7 I didn't even know it was there. Then they also have a skid steer which was 350 a day same deal as above with a trailer. But to be honest with you 4'-6" deep you had better plan plenty of wide shelves for your depth but if your soil is weak you may need bond beams or even retaining walls. Another suggestion is look at your local building codes as i'm hearing over 3' deep has some higher rules then those 3' and under.. and I can attest the deeper creates bigger challenges to hold back the soils. I have very stable soils and I still had challenges . a 35' by 35' if it does not have sloping sides and it's shelved you have one shot at the center area of the pond most excavators can only reach out 12' and at 4-6" deep it creates chalanges and some good planning

GBBUDD, Jun 19, 2018
    johnnyi, Gemma, Telion and 1 other person like this.
  11. Gemma

MitchM

For my pond, I'm doing 35 degree slopes with bentonite incorporated into the top 6 inches. No liner.

MitchM, Jun 19, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  12. Gemma

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

My sides are pretty straight, but our soil is rock with a bit of clay. I did slope them a bit but not much.

addy1, Jun 19, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  13. Gemma

sissy sissy

here the guy charged my neighbor 150 dollars because he wanted the dirt .Dirt is gold here and they make good money off it

sissy, Jun 19, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  14. Gemma

Angel

i wish. i am capped at 6 for the time being.

Angel, Jun 19, 2018
    MitchM likes this.
  15. Gemma

Mmathis TurtleMommy

We rented a mini-excavator and did the work ourselves. But we did have to pay someone to haul off the dirt (clay soil). We did amend some of the dirt and used it in the lawn, but adding clay soil to clay soil just wasn’t working for us. It did cost more to have the dirt hauled than it did to rent the excavator. We tried advertising on GRAIGSLIST, but people never got back with us once they found out that they’d have to load and haul the dirt themselves — really folks!

Mmathis, Jun 19, 2018
    Gemma, MitchM, Telion and 2 others like this.
  16. Gemma

sissy sissy

I used a shovel and me .Do not ever want to do that again ,getting to old for that .First time I was 50 years old

sissy, Jun 19, 2018
  17. Gemma

GBBUDD

No hauling soil here, it made the slope back toward the pond from the bog. And hauled in at least 18 yards of river rock of one size or another. Another 20 yards of boulders I believe they call them one man boulders. And in the neighborhood of 100,000 pounds of boulders that were for decorating.

GBBUDD, Jun 20, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  18. Gemma

Telion

You may also want to look at your local Facebook for sale. Craigslist or site that might have people renting out this service or better the equipment. I ended up renting a mini excavator for 150.00 per day. Next level playtime once you get past the learning curve.

Telion, Jun 20, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  19. Gemma

Gemma

Wow! That's not a lot for 2 days work!
    It's not the digging that we are trying to get away from, it's the moving/disposal of the dirt. We'd have to rent for both the digging and for transporting plus pay for disposal of the dirt so we thought maybe for the same price we could get lucky and , find someone who already own the equipment and can do the whole thing.....but it's been days and we're still waiting for responses.
    We contacted a local company yesterday, now we're waiting for the owner to call us back to set up an on site appointment

Gemma, Jun 20, 2018
  20. Gemma

Mmathis TurtleMommy

@Gemma What we ended up having to do to get rid our dirt was call someone from a local construction company. They always need dirt in their line of work, so there was no problem at all getting them to come pick it up. It amounted to a little over 2 truck loads. Personally, I can’t believe we had to pay THEM, but were so happy to get rid of the dirt that we didn’t care at that point.

Mmathis, Jun 20, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question