the wait is over....

Reaction score
He has quite the set up. Ask him to post one (or more) videos for you. He has some really nice fish, and with the filtration set up he has, it's proof that if the filtration is there, you can put a lot of fish in a small area.

Reaction score
capewind said:
He has quite the set up. Ask him to post one (or more) videos for you. He has some really nice fish, and with the filtration set up he has, it's proof that if the filtration is there, you can put a lot of fish in a small area.
Capewind - I totally agree that filtration is everything.

ok - I'll bite - koiguy do you have any more videos? The fish I saw in the video above were beautiful, I would love to see some more.

Reaction score
The video I was thinking of showed his big guys, but the babies were smaller and you could really get a feel for how many are in there...

Reaction score
I would love to see them - I am especially missing my fish right now. I think this is the latest we have ever had it up and running for spring. I know last spring was early, but at this time last year, I had scilla and such flowering in my garden. The crocus are just starting right now.

The fish have been moving around in the pond and on a couple of warmer days, they have been checking things out near the surface of the water. Water temps are only 43 degrees and we are still quite cool at night.

Going back into my pond journals, typically we start up the pond from about the 6th of March to the middle of March. I do remember - probably 10 years back now that there was one year where start up was not until the first week in April. Apparently that is where we are this year as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8491.JPG
    IMG_8491.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 224
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Besides maybe 3 weeks total, I've had both of my ponds up and running all winter. When I had the water line break to my koi pond (and emptied it down to the milk crate the pump was on ...) about a month ago, I then moved that line into the waterfall pool and have had it there running water over the edge. Bogs have been up and running almost the entire time, though, and stream on goldfish pond, too. Only time things got shut down was when the ice was too thick and water could not get into the skimmer boxes, thus the bog or stream they fed. Going to move and repair the waterline today for the Skippy which feeds the top of the waterfall. This time, it's going up the waterfall, so any breaks in the future will mean the water runs right back into the waterfall. At least that's the plan. Will have the line weighted down and hidden with rocks.

Reaction score
CE - a lot of people keep their ponds up and running through the winter. DH had mentioned something about doing that this past winter - however, we have always shut the pond down and brought in the pumps and it has always worked well for us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, I know most do shut theirs down. My pumps are all in the water, so as long as it doesn't freeze them solid, they are fine. The skimmer pumps even are fine, but I doubt the ice got deep enough to freeze them, it would have had to be 12" or more deep, and it was never that deep, maybe 4" at most. Always fun to see the pond come to life after winter, though! Last year I shut everything down in about first week of Jan., and brought the Skippy filter into the garage. Then found out it didn't matter, as freeze or no freeze, the temps were cold enough that the good bacteria probably died anyhow. Ho hum .... Sun is almost out here, so time to head outside and enjoy the outdoors and my ponds!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
capewind... THANK YOU, but, i actually think you've got better loooking fish than i do. my fish spawns have turned out some good looking fish. but theyre always the first to go. and i'm not interested in raising show quality fish. just some freindly ones i can enjoy. not that i wouldnt enjoy some show fish.
Carolyn22... yep..theres currently 83 fish in my basement pond. the pond setup is 800gals (give or take) . videos...to give an idea of the amount of babies yeilded each year... the videos are poor quality and i apologize for that.
a couple days after they start hatching.. in hatchery. I'd say,a conservative quess 5000+ in this tub.
https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v1/y2/r/5l8_EVv_jyW.swf?v=413468238691460&ev=0
3 weeks later... frogs, the tobies, and other preditors do most of my culling... i do sell gallon size bags full of 1/2" range (50+) fry for $20. by the time they go into the big pond i'm usually down under 200.
https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v1/y2/r/5l8_EVv_jyW.swf?v=425802610791356&ev=0

there are a dozen or so videos in this section of my fish, just look for threads started by koiguy1969. but there are folks here with better looking fish.
CE.. did you post in the wrong thread?

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
capewind... THANK YOU, but, i actually think you've got better loooking fish than i do.
I appreciate the compliment, but you are too modest. For koi, I ended up with a nice orenji and a nice benigoi (both standard fin), and a really pretty Doitsu Kin kikokuryu butterfly that looks to have a really nice confirmation for a butterfly (mom is a standard fin Matsuba with a decent body/dad is a kikokuryu butterfly with a better body than most, but still a butterfly), but everything else, while neat looking, are just pond grade mutts. The really pretty babies were purchased. Those as you know I am going to have a tough time picking from, but it is far different then the work you put into your spawning. You have some really nice fish, dont ever cut yourself short.

Reaction score
I have a spawing question for you ... I want more Goromo koi, and would take either standard fin, or butterfly fins ... I have a Goromo male (standard fin), but only two girls of similar size ... both are butterflies ... one is a Hana Shusui. the other is a Hana Asagi ... both girls are of like size, structure, and depth of color. Between the girls,.aside from the obvious scale pattern difference, would you choose one over the other? Obviously in an ideal world, I would put two Goromo together, but that isnt an option, so know I'll likely end up with some mutts too...

Ask a Question