TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I hate that I had to go bigger because of my 2 koi . If not for them I would not have had to do all this extra work . Pond is now over 5 thousand gallons and the low side is 4 1/2 feet deep and high side is just over 3 feet deep and waterfall pond after rebuilding it in Dec,. is now just over a foot deep with 4 spitters I made . The more aeration will help the pond more this summer stay cleaner. The pond got bigger by it's self as the underground pipe that takes water from my gutter caved in and I had to dig a new ditch and run a new under ground pipe . Not sure what happen because old pipe was a hard drain pipe . But I can see where the liner moved into that area along side the pond . I also noticed that the extra liner that went over the top of the pond got shorter by around 2 feet . I had marked the liner with a wax marker . I looked when it was warmer this past weekend . At least it slid down and did not damage the liner .I just hope whatever happened will not rip the liner or cut into it . I had sand all around the pipe
This pond was created so large so that I could house koi, but they barely made it into this pond before dying, so I don’t feel like I am ready to keep koi and am just going to stick with goldfish.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Got an update on the pond upgrade plan!

It will be done in phases so that I don’t have a ripped up pond for half the summer, and can just work in one piece at a time.

The parents don’t want a pond englarment at this time ( I will convince them sometime ) so to “fix” the shape of the pond and just add a cool feature I will be adding a very slightly arched bridge across the middle. There will be no railings as I want to be able to work on the pond from the bridge, and don’t want to inhibit the view. This should only take about one dedicated weekend and $200.

That will be the first phase, and since I can build it in the garage I will probably do that sometime in March.

The second phase will be the bog, which will follow a somewhat similar plan to what I have layed out below:

E8EA7210-0C56-449C-ABBF-1103850E694B.jpeg

That size still allowed for a pond expansion to the right in the future, and I should be able to get it done in a few weeks. Honestly don’t have a budget for this, but hoping to get it done in a few hundred dollars.

I have to wait for the ground to be unfrozen for that, so I will probably do that in April.

What do you guys think?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
KOI ARE NOT EASY Wish someone had told me . I had no idea they got that big . They need lots of oxygen . I don't feed them much but they destroy plants suck the insides out of frogs and I get the pleasure every morning of scooping out the remains . NOT FUN . Your liner will be expensive and hard to get . I wanted pond liner for my waterfall pond I had to rebuild because of roots from plants and frogs undermining it . But had to settle on roofing liner from builders discount center in Danville va . I rinsed it off really well and it only comes in 10 feet wide but sells by the foot . I even called the pond store in NC and even they had no liner to sell , but their sights says it is in stock . BUT NOPE . I did buy laguna pumps for energy savings and I learned fast t always have and extra pump on hand . I use 2 in my pond and double check them with a watt tester and bought 2 cheap ones from harbor freight for back up . With the supply chain hold up it is getting harder everyday to find things

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
KOI ARE NOT EASY Wish someone had told me . I had no idea they got that big . They need lots of oxygen . I don't feed them much but they destroy plants suck the insides out of frogs and I get the pleasure every morning of scooping out the remains . NOT FUN . Your liner will be expensive and hard to get . I wanted pond liner for my waterfall pond I had to rebuild because of roots from plants and frogs undermining it . But had to settle on roofing liner from builders discount center in Danville va . I rinsed it off really well and it only comes in 10 feet wide but sells by the foot . I even called the pond store in NC and even they had no liner to sell , but their sights says it is in stock . BUT NOPE . I did buy laguna pumps for energy savings and I learned fast t always have and extra pump on hand . I use 2 in my pond and double check them with a watt tester and bought 2 cheap ones from harbor freight for back up . With the supply chain hold up it is getting harder everyday to find things
It looks like webbs online has the liner I need in stock, but I will be sure to keep a lookout for shortages.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This pond was created so large so that I could house koi, but they barely made it into this pond before dying, so I don’t feel like I am ready to keep koi and am just going to stick with goldfish.
You would love the Shubunkin goldfish as they are calico colored and look somewhat like Koi only smaller.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got an update on the pond upgrade plan!

It will be done in phases so that I don’t have a ripped up pond for half the summer, and can just work in one piece at a time.

The parents don’t want a pond englarment at this time ( I will convince them sometime ) so to “fix” the shape of the pond and just add a cool feature I will be adding a very slightly arched bridge across the middle. There will be no railings as I want to be able to work on the pond from the bridge, and don’t want to inhibit the view. This should only take about one dedicated weekend and $200.

That will be the first phase, and since I can build it in the garage I will probably do that sometime in March.

The second phase will be the bog, which will follow a somewhat similar plan to what I have layed out below:

View attachment 147895
That size still allowed for a pond expansion to the right in the future, and I should be able to get it done in a few weeks. Honestly don’t have a budget for this, but hoping to get it done in a few hundred dollars.

I have to wait for the ground to be unfrozen for that, so I will probably do that in April.

What do you guys think?
Hi. Good luck with your bog. So I have a suggestion about buying pea gravel or rocks for your bog. For my bog I used a supply yard that sells materials to masons and concrete sub-contractors. The prices I paid was much cheaper than something like a Home Depot. I’m not sure exactly what I paid 2 years ago when I did it, but I think was less than $200 for over 2000 lbs of stone!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Hi. Good luck with your bog. So I have a suggestion about buying pea gravel or rocks for your bog. For my bog I used a supply yard that sells materials to masons and concrete sub-contractors. The prices I paid was much cheaper than something like a Home Depot. I’m not sure exactly what I paid 2 years ago when I did it, but I think was less than $200 for over 2000 lbs of stone!
I have a landscape company that I go to for all rocks, mulch, and anything else I need, plus they have decent prices, so I will be going there!

( I could never stomach paying like $5 a bag for that stuff )

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
You would love the Shubunkin goldfish as they are calico colored and look somewhat like Koi only smaller.
I have one currently, and if I decide to up my fish load I will definitely be adding some more!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fat fantails they come in colors and are slow and funny to watch . I still call mine butt wiggles . I just noticed TODAY IS 2/22/2022

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
fat fantails they come in colors and are slow and funny to watch . I still call mine butt wiggles . I just noticed TODAY IS 2/22/2022
Happy day of the two's! Do you think fantails could survive in Colorado, it got down to -3 today ( pond is probably still in the early 30's ) and I don't know that they would like that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Happy day of the two's! Do you think fantails could survive in Colorado, it got down to -3 today ( pond is probably still in the early 30's ) and I don't know that they would like that.
Fantails can survive near freezing temperatures as long as the pond doesn't entirely freeze over (or freeze solid of course).

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Fantails can survive near freezing temperatures as long as the pond doesn't entirely freeze over (or freeze solid of course).
Ooh! Sounds like I may have some overpriced swimming inhibited beauty’s in my future!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a pond heater . It is worth the cost and I help the pond heater with 2 airstones attached to it in colder weather . The only concerns I have if there is a power outage . Like the epic ice storm left me without power for over 5 days , But all my fish survived that . The whole pond was ice covered and no way to help it , but every fish survived that so guessing fantails are hardier than they say . I never did get any babies from mine . They have been in the pond since 2005 . Fancy tails had babies but not butt wiggler fantails

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have fantails in my pond, hot tub one, had them in the 1000 gallon until the heron attack. Both freeze over, the fantails survived. Only thing running was the pond breather. I have seen the hot tub ones recently after the ice melted.

Ask a Question