TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
They have or it is quite simple to put some form of filter around your pump to protect the inlet.
The whole unit has this big cage around it, which is pretty effective, and on top of that it is a solids handling pump, so it can deal with small leaves and sticks.

Don’t really know what caused this, but I will try to keep the new one cleaner and hope for the best.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Just got the old pump back out today and with quite a bit of prying and pulling and some broken plastic I was able to get the impeller assembly out! There was a bunch of what appears to be rust ( don’t know where it came from as none of the components were rusty ) that was jamming the impeller. I was able to clean it out and get it spinning. ( however I do still have to put the whole thing back together and see how much water is pushes. )

Thanks for the suggestion @brokensword !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just got the old pump back out today and with quite a bit of prying and pulling and some broken plastic I was able to get the impeller assembly out! There was a bunch of what appears to be rust ( don’t know where it came from as none of the components were rusty ) that was jamming the impeller. I was able to clean it out and get it spinning. ( however I do still have to put the whole thing back together and see how much water is pushes. )

been there done that, and once you figure 'what have I to lose?', any manner of solutions looks great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

any update on how it's working for you?

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
any update on how it's working for you?
Got it all put back together and the impeller got stuck again, trying to decide wether to spend $30 on a new impeller and see if that fixes anything or give up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got it all put back together and the impeller got stuck again, trying to decide wether to spend $30 on a new impeller and see if that fixes anything or give up.
are the fins attached to a magnet and that to a spindle? With a new impeller (you got a new one, right?) it should be fine and MAYBE you're not lining up the far end of the stick impller correctly so it actually drags against the inside of the armature case. That is, if the impeller shaft is not mounted right, you'll get that friction and it'll stop. Both ends of this stick axle have to be properly held at each end. If this IS your new impeller, it should be fine still. If I have details incorrect. let me know!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
are the fins attached to a magnet and that to a spindle? With a new impeller (you got a new one, right?) it should be fine and MAYBE you're not lining up the far end of the stick impller correctly so it actually drags against the inside of the armature case. That is, if the impeller shaft is not mounted right, you'll get that friction and it'll stop. Both ends of this stick axle have to be properly held at each end. If this IS your new impeller, it should be fine still. If I have details incorrect. let me know!
I think we are describing two different types of pumps.

This one is contstruced quite weirdly and in a way that right to repair would not approve of.

Below are pics:

555E5160-CF43-4DED-B85F-0AAEFFC52548.jpeg

Basically the impeller, fins and whatever other plastic that is are all on piece that cannot be disassembled, and that whole assembly just slides into the main pump body.
85A3246C-C54E-4A17-A45C-B4034D805A47.jpeg

This is what the assembly shown before slides into. I can feel that the inside of this isnt completely smooth, and because this connection is where the spinning happens I kind of wonder if that is the issue. ( I tried a vinegary solution with one of those scrubby pads but was not able to get it )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think we are describing two different types of pumps.

This one is contstruced quite weirdly and in a way that right to repair would not approve of.

Below are pics:

View attachment 147194
Basically the impeller, fins and whatever other plastic that is are all on piece that cannot be disassembled, and that whole assembly just slides into the main pump body.
View attachment 147196
This is what the assembly shown before slides into. I can feel that the inside of this isnt completely smooth, and because this connection is where the spinning happens I kind of wonder if that is the issue. ( I tried a vinegary solution with one of those scrubby pads but was not able to get it )
which part did they give you as replacement; the whole thing including the impeller fins or just the fin part?

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
which part did they give you as replacement; the whole thing including the impeller fins or just the fin part?
I haven't got a new impeller yet, but if I do it looks like they send the whole thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't got a new impeller yet, but if I do it looks like they send the whole thing.
Look to see if there's any damage done, INSIDE the main housing at the very bottom. The top of your 'cylinder' should seat there and IF there's damage, any new 'cylinder+fins' unit will probably wobble and lock up too soon. IF you don't see any damage and can insert your old unit, spin it by hand and feel if there's any wobble or if the unit feels smooth as you turn. Then you have to see the other end where the fins are; same deal, whatever holds the bottom part of that cylinder has to mount without wobble. That whole unit should NOT contact the sides when slid inside the main housing.

I THINK I see three lines of abrasion on the cylinder body; is that correct? I'd surmise you got some pebble/sand/grit type substance caught inside and the rotation did that until it jammed. That's why the top and bottom seating MIGHT still be okay to order that new impeller unit. And inspect the inside of the housing for damage there, too. It CAN be scored and still rotate your cylinder, so not as big a deal. You just don't want a new unit wobbling while spinning because the seat ends are worn/damaged. Worth the look, imo. I mean, you're going to toss it anyway, if it doesn't work, right?

IF you can, IF you want, take more pics (use a light/flashlight to illuminate that inside area and get some closeups, if you want a second opinion (from me). Good luck!:cool::p

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Look to see if there's any damage done, INSIDE the main housing at the very bottom. The top of your 'cylinder' should seat there and IF there's damage, any new 'cylinder+fins' unit will probably wobble and lock up too soon. IF you don't see any damage and can insert your old unit, spin it by hand and feel if there's any wobble or if the unit feels smooth as you turn. Then you have to see the other end where the fins are; same deal, whatever holds the bottom part of that cylinder has to mount without wobble. That whole unit should NOT contact the sides when slid inside the main housing.

I THINK I see three lines of abrasion on the cylinder body; is that correct? I'd surmise you got some pebble/sand/grit type substance caught inside and the rotation did that until it jammed. That's why the top and bottom seating MIGHT still be okay to order that new impeller unit. And inspect the inside of the housing for damage there, too. It CAN be scored and still rotate your cylinder, so not as big a deal. You just don't want a new unit wobbling while spinning because the seat ends are worn/damaged. Worth the look, imo. I mean, you're going to toss it anyway, if it doesn't work, right?

IF you can, IF you want, take more pics (use a light/flashlight to illuminate that inside area and get some closeups, if you want a second opinion (from me). Good luck!:cool::p
thanks for the help! I never really thought about those abrasion lines, but that is what they are.

I will do the wobble test, and take more pics!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
More than likely anything inside that aear your saying is an abrasion is a bur left over from a small rock or similar getting in the area. by small it was probably the size a a grain of sand

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my pumps have never been on the bottom . They are tied to a pipe across the middle of the pond . I pull them every 2 months and spray the cage around the pump with my jet nozzle on my hose. left pump goes to right side filter and right pump goes to left side filter . I tie them to the pipe I can pull them towards me so I can clean them .Part of the hose from each pump goes to a pipe on the bottom of the pond with holes drilled in them to allow some of the water to aerate and clean the bottom of the pond and the rest goes to the filters

Attachments

• DSC02578.JPG
    DSC02578.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 8

Ask a Question