TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
You got 'er done - that's the spirit! Now the long wait until spring...

How's the fire situation?

yupp the long wait till spring.....

Cameron peak fire is doing a lot better, but then another fire came up called east troublesome, and west troublesome, and like five other fires. The new trend with teenagers right now is trying to start forest fires, and quite a few have succeeded :(

East troublesome went from like 60 to 180 thousand acres in one day, the whole state was basically burning up, then this happened:
IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

Only a few inches here, but where the firefighters are having a tough time getting too because of the terrain and lack of roads, it got to 24 inches! So everybody's really happy today, and firefighters are able to have the day off, because well, this snow is doing a lot more than any fire crew could!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Wow - you got that done JUST IN TIME! Snow hides a multitude of sins, doesn't it?
YOU MADE IT! Dude these snowy pictures give me hope for my first winter.
Liask: It does, Makes my pond look like a total pro did it! Case all you can see are the fain outline of the rocks in the water, and all around it is snow :) Maybe I just need to do some permanent snow as edging in my pond :LOL:

Frog: ( Hope your okay with that short name :) Would be going around calling you bath ) Hope you get a good winter :)

Yes Yes, I seem really energized and happy, way to many emojis, thats cause someone round her decided that after we got 13 inches of snow This morning even virtual school gets a snow day! How stupidly amazing is that!! the snow doesn't affect anybody's ability to do school anyway, so virtual school snow days are almost even more top notch than normal ones.

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cant lie about my age ( well I could but why would I? )

just a little bit different than the average 12 year old, I think I know the one you are talking about was it @Joshaeus ?

I read too much on this forum ;)
Not quite that young my friend...in fact, considerably older (think double) ;)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
My bad, I just remember seeing 16 somewhere, not to sure :)
I just remember seeing 16 somewhere, my bad though :)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Haven’t done anything on this thread scince the winter, but I did just get s’more fish and plants, so I figured I would give a couple of updates,

Overall the pond is doing well, I have started to put in the path that needs to go beside it, and re routed the sprinkler into a more permanent place ( as in not literally in the middle of the pond ) however I did have to take out the small flagstone waterfall as it water leaking, so for now it is just a corner of dirt, but I am looking into placing the biofalls behind the fence and being able to use that whole corner as a waterfall.

I have also started to realize that the shape isn’t the most natural and pretty, so I am looking into what it would take to shrink down the middle and kind of have two smaller ponds with an interconnecting waterway ( of course with a bridge over it ) but I don’t know if it would make enough of a difference to make draining the pond, taking out most if not all of the rocks, finding a way to fill dirt in the way that I want it to go in, and then put the whole pond back together.

But for now, here are the new additions:

D7E66BFC-6C31-4000-BB05-D9B26D28CC00.jpeg

lotus, water is a little murky as it had to go in the deep end but be lifted by pavers, so there was quite the mucking around going on.

01E7127C-8436-4171-BE7C-9805F8CC7FBC.jpeg

some hyacinth that the fish are already chomping down on, I mean at least they were cheap.

C95E16D4-3EE3-4D5B-9E51-CC1595DC0D92.jpeg

a full pond picture, the weed barrier is the beginning of the path, and as you can see here, this is the reason why I don’t feel it has the best shape to it.

570F394E-AD5B-4B95-B84D-37A6DD6658CA.jpeg

And a not super flattering picture of the whole squad, which now consists of my two big goldfish from last year ( 9 inches now! ) 5 new goldfish ( only a few inches, but based on these last ones they will grow fast ) and a singular koi, I really need to stop with the koi but at least I have the pond to support one now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As others have said i don't think you need t o make the pond smaller i think you'll regret that in short time. Like addy said drift wood , stumps ,even some limbs can accomplish the same look if not more so. One of the best features to a pond for naturalizing is to have rocks stumps or even a log floating in the water or laying on the bank and down into the water but making what appears to be an island or a small go around stream . Do this on one side of the pond it will remove the man made look. Like said bring some rocks out into the yard so even though the waters edge may not change the string of pears as its called is broken up and sent out into the yard having planting pockets between the rocks and allowing the water to get past the first rock on the edge but is then stopped by a second goes a long way to.
20210628_125231.jpg

Get creative with excessories as the ladies would say and you can take a simple outfit and make it really stand out with the right decorating

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Have some rocks go out into the yard. add some driftwood, some edge plants and it will look just fine. It does look fine
Get some tall plants for the corner iris etc
As others have said i don't think you need t o make the pond smaller i think you'll regret that in short time. Like addy said drift wood , stumps ,even some limbs can accomplish the same look if not more so. One of the best features to a pond for naturalizing is to have rocks stumps or even a log floating in the water or laying on the bank and down into the water but making what appears to be an island or a small go around stream . Do this on one side of the pond it will remove the man made look. Like said bring some rocks out into the yard so even though the waters edge may not change the string of pears as its called is broken up and sent out into the yard having planting pockets between the rocks and allowing the water to get past the first rock on the edge but is then stopped by a second goes a long way to.
View attachment 140592
Get creative with excessories as the ladies would say and you can take a simple outfit and make it really stand out with the right decorating
Thanks for the ideas, I do see how to is pretty isolated, and luckily Colorado has no shortage of trees, and Home Depot has no shortage of plants :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
100% agree - never make a pond smaller!

Work on expanding the viewer's eye by creating a more natural look around the pond - expand the planting edges to create the illusion that the pond is bigger and make those areas more irregular, replace some of the rock edge with drift wood or logs or bigger rocks, plant some plants to cover the rocks (either inside or outside the pond, or both), get some bigger boulders to set outside away from the edges of the pond and plant around those. Lots of ways to make your pond look more natural without rebuilding the whole pond.

And kudos to you for using a critical eye to assess what you've done and be able to see what needs improvement! You have a very good start!

Ask a Question