TheFishGuys Goldfish Pond Build.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree with what has already been said. Your pond looks great. With some landscaping with plants, rocks and logs, you can make it feel more natural. Heck. My pond is round. At least yours has more shape than mine!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Listened to what has been said, here is the pond today, also, I got baby goldfish! I am just going to leave them to fight it out as I don’t really need a whole bunch more fish, but if they survive then they deserve it :)

C03A1DDB-A0A9-4CB1-B808-6050947116A5.jpeg

got s’more creeping Jenny, random water grasses, a hosta, daylilly, some random anual that is on the side, and a whole bunch of iris in the bog and around the pond.

EFD802E7-EDA7-4744-BFCA-6C5D944F0EA8.jpeg

And a few little baby fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Listened to what has been said, here is the pond today, also, I got baby goldfish! I am just going to leave them to fight it out as I don’t really need a whole bunch more fish, but if they survive then they deserve it :)

View attachment 141334
got s’more creeping Jenny, random water grasses, a hosta, daylilly, some random anual that is on the side, and a whole bunch of iris in the bog and around the pond.

View attachment 141335
And a few little baby fish
looks great! Don't feed your fish if you want to keep your herd from growing too large. Nature will take over from there. I don't feed anytime I see spawning behavior as it's easier for the fish to eat eggs than fry.

Also, keep an eye on your iris; depending on what type you have, it may totally root-bound up your bog and the water may channel out over the sides. Too, they can be a pita to divide later, especially yellow flag.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
awesome pond, it already looks great, keep tinkering and you'll get it just the way you want it to be, I bet. A couple tall marginal plants (you could experiment with placement) I bet would break up the impression of ovalness without requiring any physical changes to the pond.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
looks great! Don't feed your fish if you want to keep your herd from growing too large. Nature will take over from there. I don't feed anytime I see spawning behavior as it's easier for the fish to eat eggs than fry.

Also, keep an eye on your iris; depending on what type you have, it may totally root-bound up your bog and the water may channel out over the sides. Too, they can be a pita to divide later, especially yellow flag.
Thanks! I haven’t been feeding but once or twice a month and everyone seems to be happy so I won’t start now!

it is Siberian so hopefully a little less invasive, however if needed the bog is small enough I can always just pull the whole thing out in a matter of hours :)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Pond is looking really nice! Once those plants start to mature it will really help the pond blend in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haven’t updated this thread in a while! Got some fresh snow, and my new pump is working great ( impeller seized on the 7 month old pump I had in there )

View attachment 146661
did you take the pump apart and inspect the impeller? Was there a rock or something obvious jammed against it? Most impellers break this way or once they jamb, the motor burns out (the armature). Other than that, I've lost pumps over time to friction, rust, too much play such that the impeller actually won't turn, though it looks fine.

Just thinking out loud, in case you hadn't done this and might actually be able to salvage the old pump!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
did you take the pump apart and inspect the impeller? Was there a rock or something obvious jammed against it? Most impellers break this way or once they jamb, the motor burns out (the armature). Other than that, I've lost pumps over time to friction, rust, too much play such that the impeller actually won't turn, though it looks fine.

Just thinking out loud, in case you hadn't done this and might actually be able to salvage the old pump!
I had taken it apart as far as I could, the impeller would not spin at all, and the impeller would not budge out from the motor assembly. I described the issue to the guys over at aquascape, and they just said that the impeller probably seized and sent me a new one with no more questions asked, so I assume it must be a problem that they know about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had taken it apart as far as I could, the impeller would not spin at all, and the impeller would not budge out from the motor assembly. I described the issue to the guys over at aquascape, and they just said that the impeller probably seized and sent me a new one with no more questions asked, so I assume it must be a problem that they know about.
since you have nothing to lose, try to force the old impeller out by using some vise grips and squirt a bit of liquid soap in by the impeller to help loosen. You could even try some WD40, but if you get it out, clean the area inside well before ever using it again. I'm thinking your impeller is just stuck and can be unstuck. Usually, the impeller spins WITHOUT touching the sides; that's why it spins. If touching the sides, I'm betting grit/stone/debris is jamming that area up.

There's generally a spindle that goes through the middle of the impeller, attaching to some sort of 'hole'/grommet/indent on either side.

Again, you got nothing to lose and might gain a backup pump. Unless you tossed everything already!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
since you have nothing to lose, try to force the old impeller out by using some vise grips and squirt a bit of liquid soap in by the impeller to help loosen. You could even try some WD40, but if you get it out, clean the area inside well before ever using it again. I'm thinking your impeller is just stuck and can be unstuck. Usually, the impeller spins WITHOUT touching the sides; that's why it spins. If touching the sides, I'm betting grit/stone/debris is jamming that area up.

There's generally a spindle that goes through the middle of the impeller, attaching to some sort of 'hole'/grommet/indent on either side.

Again, you got nothing to lose and might gain a backup pump. Unless you tossed everything already!
Havent thrown anything away yet, so I will try that! Would be awesome to have a second pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They have or it is quite simple to put some form of filter around your pump to protect the inlet.

Ask a Question