Thinking about building pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
I have not got a lot of space to build a pond for my koi this is the plan I can build a box then use liner dimensions 6 feet long 3 feet high and 2 feet wide with 2 or1 upsidedown aquarium 4 ft long 2 feet high and 2 feet wide total water 1472 Litre's what do you think is it good? I have no space to go bigger
IMG_20161205_161712.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is your backyard get a lot of sun? I heard something like that the upside down swimming area can be very hot if gets lot of sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Is your backyard get a lot of sun? I heard something like that the upside down swimming area can be very hot if gets lot of sun.
Not that much about 4 hours of sun

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Would 3 feet be good

A Koi, given proper surroundings, can grow to lengths of 2 feet or more. 3 feet would be better, maybe for one fish. Even then, the use of inverted tanks on top would create another problem of severely reducing the exposed water surface area. The level of gas exchange (including Oxygen) at the water's surface is critical for the overall health of the pond. Water surface area should be maximized not limited as in your design. You will also need an exceptional level of biofiltration.
Sorry, but even with expanding the width to 3 feet, taking into account the proposed overall structure and size, I still recommend Goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
A Koi, given proper surroundings, can grow to lengths of 2 feet or more. 3 feet would be better, maybe for one fish. Even then, the use of inverted tanks on top would create another problem of severely reducing the exposed water surface area. The level of gas exchange (including Oxygen) at the water's surface is critical for the overall health of the pond. Water surface area should be maximized not limited as in your design. You will also need an exceptional level of biofiltration.
Sorry, but even with expanding the width to 3 feet, taking into account the proposed overall structure and size, I still recommend Goldfish.
Thx for you're help the problem is I've got 4 koi fish there doing fine but I wish to build hem something bigger but space is at a limit for me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
You already have 4 Koi in a more restrictive environment than you are proposing? YIKES!!
I guess it happen s to a lot of people that are new to pond s I saw them and bought them there about 12 cm big

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you take them back? They grow big and fast. I stuck with shubunkins/goldfish did not want to have koi due to their size and water requirements. They like real clean water and a lot of it.
My one main pond is around 9000 gallons and I still stuck with shubunkins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Can you take them back? They grow big and fast. I stuck with shubunkins/goldfish did not want to have koi due to their size and water requirements. They like real clean water and a lot of it.
My one main pond is around 9000 gallons and I still stuck with shubunkins.
No I can't take them back I'll have to wait and see

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Well I've got space for 2 500 Litre's tanks 240 Euro not bad I'm trying my best there are 3 dimensions
1\ L120 h 87 w56
2\ l115 h60 w80
3\ l84 h115 w58 they are in cm

Ask a Question