Area in my backyard thinking of putting a pond suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I have attached photos of an area near my backyard garden which is a hill that I dislike when it comes to cutting the lawn. I would like to incorporate a pond, waterfall in this area. I was thinking of using the hill as a natural setting for the waterfall. I am looking into a solar pump Aquajet 24V Max Lift: 10.5' / 412 GPH to eliminate running electric to this area. My question is how big of a pond can I build to support this pump? I also do not want a trickling waterfall but a nice flowing waterfall. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20170520_111226.jpg
    IMG_20170520_111226.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20170520_110303.jpg
    IMG_20170520_110303.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 271
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would be surprised if a solar 412 gph pump could pump 10.5 feet for more than a couple of hours per day.
You should be looking at possibly a 100 gallon water feature only.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have 2 (1 1/2 x 2 ft) solar panels on my greenhouse that power a VERY small fan. So I think it wouldn't work for you... Agree go with 1000 plus gallons per hour. Its hard to find good solar powered equipment, if you can make it attach a large panel to the pump and wire it yourself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks I still need to look into solar pumps. According to the company the pump will power a strong water flow. I m new to solar pond/waterfall. I understand any pump will work you just need to plug it into the correct solar panel and battery backup.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Any pump will work if provided the correct size equipment with that pump. And with what your going to use it for, it wont work. A "strong" waterflow to someone who is selling you something, could be me pouring a glass of water into a sink.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have never been able to achieve a strong water flow with anything less than 600 or 700 gph and usually you need a lot more than that.... and that's for a pump plugged into an ac outlet. It seems unlikely the pump you are looking at will do the trick.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I took all of our hills, planted them, added a stream, waterfalls, ponds, no more mowing on that darn 25 degree slope. I was always falling off the hill with the mower.

I agree with the above you need electricity. I have a separate clear water pump from harbor freight that sends water up our hill, 100 feet of head pressure, on a timer, think it is rated at 1600 gph, makes a nice stream and waterfall. OW just one pump for the ponds, that runs 24/7

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just like solar lights that don't last or that don't stay on for more than 4 or 5 hours at night or on a cloudy day with full sun maybe 5 hours if you are lucky .Then like solar lights they die or need new batteries and they need the lenses cleaned .I still have some of my harbor freight pumps and they still work in my neighbors pond and some are 10 years old .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I long for the day when solar technology reaches the level that we can run pumps off of it - it's not there yet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
solar panels need to go down in cost ,even with rebates it is high .I thought of solar for my house with wind turbine also but cost and maintaining it and batteries is high .Even smaller panels are high and now they have solar sheets and not sure how they would hold up to storm damage .We had one house here with solar panels and hail damage was bad and insurance companies do not cover damage to them

Ask a Question