Thoughts on Jebao CF-20 Bio-Pressure UVC Pond Filter?

Reaction score
All, just wanted to give you a status update and thank you for the suggestions. I went ahead and built a 55g Doc style bio-filter and must say I am astonished at how crystal clear the water looks. Below are a few pics (they may not do it justice as the ripples from the waterfall distort the photo, Ill try to take additional photos this weekend). The pond is over 3 feet deep and you can easily see straight to the bottom. Prior to the doc filter the water looked like double pea soup!

Not sure if others have tried this or have mentioned it but my personal tip on the doc style filter (not to take away any credit from the original brilliant designer) is the following - Memory Foam... I went to Target and purchased a roll of memory foam for a twin bed for the price of $15. The layer is 1.5" thick however the roll allowed me to cut out 3 circular discs that fit in the barrel so the total memory foam layer ended up being 4.5" thick. I really think this made a huge impact on the filtering process. I included other items in the barrel as well however they are rather standard items / filter media.

Regards

Attachments

• 2011-10-08_12-38-25_159(2).jpg
    2011-10-08_12-38-25_159(2).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 825
  • 2011-10-08_12-38-33_767.jpg
    2011-10-08_12-38-33_767.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 845
  • 2011-10-08_12-39-16_519.jpg
    2011-10-08_12-39-16_519.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 732

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The water looks great! But be aware, using the foam will work great at this point but as it starts to clog it can start giving you problems, as it starts to clog it can go aneraobic. If you go to back flush and start smelling a foul smell it's for sure time to take the foam out and rinse it well. I used cut up scrubbies in my DOC filter, worked great the first few months, then when I started back flushing I started smelling a rotten egg smell, then noticed the algae started growing more and more and the GH and KH started fluctuating, I backwashed the filter daily for about a week and changed out 10% water daily, this helped balance the pond back out but I can tell once the water cools down and drops below 50 degress, I plan on removing the scrubbie pads and going back to something that the water can flow through more easily. I've learned quite a bit this year using it as a trial and plan on making some modifications over the winter.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
LIKOI; not sure what you are using for the foam, but around here memory foam is a dense, CLOSED-CELL foam, and totally unsuitable for filtration. Only OPEN-CELL foam permits water to trickle through it as it should in a filter. With closed-cell foam, water would run over the material and around the sides, by-passing most of the filter material beneath it. I have seen a pump burned out because someone wrapped closed-cell upholstery foam around it, thinking it would make a mini-filter. John

Reaction score
Good point Haro, however it is open cell.
Stroppy, that link doesn't seem to work? I was concerned about some sort of chemicals on it but so far no issues and has been a few weeks.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
sorry likoi not much good at links ... basicly it was saying that all bedding had to be flame retarding, what chemicals that would mean i do not know, perhaps some others might know more

Ask a Question