Thread Weed and Blanket weed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a 200 Litre just above ground pond with goldfish installed 18 months ago. The pump is a Filtral UVC 3000.
We are plagued with Thread weed and blanket weed. The pump keeps blocking up and needs to be cleaned on a too regular basis.
Any ideas???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! A few more details please - how many fish do you have? Are you feeding them? If so, how much and how often? Any plants? What kind of filtration? Is the size correct? 200 liters or about 50 US gallons?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for your reply.
The pond is 238 Litres/ 52 UK Gallons.
We have 12 fish, fed once a day.
Two plants, variety unknown, we lost the labels!! But both are submerged up to the bottom of the leaves as per the lost instructions.
Filtration is via the Filtral UVC 3000 pump.
The pond gets direct sunlight for about 4 hours a day in the summer.
Any help/advice welcome.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Visiting the UK was always on my bucket list!

Well, you’re not going to like what I have to say, but........ You have a very high fishload for that size pond. The fish are creating waste and the algae is there in response to that — trying to gobble up all the nitrogen waste. Your filter might be a good one (I don’t know much about filters), but if it can’t keep up with the bio load, you’re going to get algae!

Plants are the best thing for this — plants will compete with the algae for nutrients — but with that small of a pond, I’d worry that there isn’t enough room for plants and fish. Many of us have what is called a bog for filtration. Water from the pond flows through pea gravel — that is well planted — before it returns to the pond. This is a great way to add filtration for a small space. My “bog” is basically an extra pond connected to the main pond, but many, many people make container bogs — very cute and very effective!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - @Mmathis shared the sad, bad, unavoidable news. You have too many fish for your small pond. The algae is essentially keeping your pond "alive" by eating the nutrients that would otherwise kill your fish. You may be able to add more filtration to deal with this issue, but the far easier solution is to reduce your fish load. (Well, easier might be an understatement!)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! I agree with the comments above.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1580746560606.gif
@Peter in Rochester

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
50 gallons for an outdoor pond is pretty small . add full sun, overload of fish. because of the small tank your temps and your water parameters fluctuate fast and furious. the bigger the pond the less the head ache

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh and the number one reason for algae is over feeding to many fish. i would cut back feeding to once every three days if you see any negative changes in your fish then you may need to increase the feedings .

Ask a Question