Tips and tricks for running pipe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have been relying on the Pond Digger's How to Build a Fish Pond videos for my lessons. I'm addicted and now clearly dependent as well.

The section about plumbing the waterfall and such was removed from the series, due to some changes in the kit they use. They didn't want to confuse people, so they left it off.

However, I know that running the pipes between the skimmer and the waterfall is something you do at the beginning, as well as running a conduit for electrical.

Typically in a small pond (8 x 10 x 2 deep + a deeper hidey hole) isn't the pump located in the skimmer? I'm sure when I order my kit, there will be instructions, but as I prepare the site (prior to actual digging) I'd like to have some idea of what to expect and where I should plan to lay the water pipe between the skimmer and filter waterfall.

Also, does there need to be any attention given to angle or slope? If my waterfall is only about 2 feet high and the pond is no larger than the kit specified, I assume the pump will be able to handle getting the water up to the fall. (I'm going to order a decent quality kit. ;))

Any tips here would be very appreciated.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can't help much with this, but very good questions and considerations. When you choose your pump, look at the listed head pressure (I think that's what it's called) which is the amt of resistence the water has to overcome. It will be listed on the package, and will give you the pump's rating at various heights. These can differ, too, depending on the diameter of the tubing, and other factors. And if I'm remembering correctly [it's been a while], you figure how many feet of tubing there will be between the water's exit point [not from the pump itself] until it reaches the waterfall, then add that to the number of feet your waterfall is high. Those 2 numbers will be the amt of "head" your pump should have. Anything less and the water either won't reach the top to the waterfall, or will be wimpy at best.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Turtle Mom! But this sounds like math. Time to call in the kids! LOL
It's not that bad, really! If I can do it, anyone can -- I'm terrible at math! It's more a matter of understanding that the numbers stated on the pump pkg. will dictate how far and high the pump is able to move the water. You add up point A to B (length of tubing outside of the water), and point B to point C (the height of the waterfall).
image.jpeg

And I do apologize if I have this totally wrong -- like I said, it's been a while since I had to calculate this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You can have a submersible pump, or external. I have submersible and one of my three pumps, is located inside my skimmer. Originally I had more than one pump in the skimmer, but it drew the water too fast by the UV light, which is inside my skimmer. So two of my pumps are in the pond, with pre-filters on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Typically, the pumps included in kits that contain a skimmer are direct drive submersible pumps that are placed directly in the skimmer housing. The flow rate of these types of pumps will vary very little from 0 feet elevation to 5 feet elevation. Some of these pumps list the 5 foot flow rate as the primary flow rate. Bottom line, unless the waterfall is a block away from the pond you will lose very little in flow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have been relying on the Pond Digger's How to Build a Fish Pond videos for my lessons. I'm addicted and now clearly dependent as well.

The section about plumbing the waterfall and such was removed from the series, due to some changes in the kit they use. They didn't want to confuse people, so they left it off.

However, I know that running the pipes between the skimmer and the waterfall is something you do at the beginning, as well as running a conduit for electrical.

Typically in a small pond (8 x 10 x 2 deep + a deeper hidey hole) isn't the pump located in the skimmer? I'm sure when I order my kit, there will be instructions, but as I prepare the site (prior to actual digging) I'd like to have some idea of what to expect and where I should plan to lay the water pipe between the skimmer and filter waterfall.

Also, does there need to be any attention given to angle or slope? If my waterfall is only about 2 feet high and the pond is no larger than the kit specified, I assume the pump will be able to handle getting the water up to the fall. (I'm going to order a decent quality kit. ;))

Any tips here would be very appreciated.

Good info from others on selecting a pump. In terms of laying the pipe or tubing, just bring it over to the pump/skimmer in a nice slow arc (no sharp bends). Whether you put the height gain at the beginning or end or all along does not really matter, do whatever is convenient. One tip: cut the tubing as long as you can tolerate it at first, then once you've sorted it out exactly, you can trim it. Better that than cutting it short in the first place.

You'll also need to figure out where to attach your check valve (and get one if the kit doesn't come with one). In my case, I have a vertical pipe coming out of the pump into a street elbow. Those three components are all glued together. Then the check valve (running horizontal) connects the street elbow to the flex PVC with hose clamps. That way I can remove the pump assembly by removing just a single hose clamp.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@EricV Good advice! And on the topic of tubing, [ @bagsmom, have you chosen the type of tubing/pipe you plan to use? That's a good topic to get into if you haven't already researched it. ] the fewer "joins" you have in your system the better, and any places where you will use fittings for your turns, use long sweep fittings, which goes along with what EricV said about "slow arcs" to avoid sharp bends.
image.jpeg

@EricV [again] I see you use FLEX PVC, and how has that worked for you? [My plan is to eventually convert everything to this.] You mention the use of hose clamps, but I can't picture what you mean. Are you talking about the Fernco fittings.....? Also, what PVC solvent weld stuff do you use for the FLEX tubing? I've read that there is a certain kind intended for FLEX pipe because it will "give" where it's joined.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I did use FlexPVC. There is a glue for swimming pools, but I just used some Gorilla stuff I had around. The only joint I used glue on for the Flex PVC though was the waterfall inlet. Let me see if I can find a photo of my plumbing....

Well, I can't find the one I want, but these may be instructive. This is my waterfall with 2" PVC coming out. The larger pipe is a flexible drain pipe that is part of my overflow system. Eventual location of the pond is too the left (the bin is sitting on a plant shelf).
Pond construction-577ad3f0.jpg

Here's a photo that shows my skimmer and the rest of the plumbing to it (not hooked up yet). There the overflow you can see will connect to a downspout that I want to divert and the part not in place yet is the connection from the skimmer to the overflow.
Pond construction-577c322a.jpg

What I mean about the check valve is that I have something like this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/ProPlumber-Plastic-Check-Valve/1016465

There are hose clamps and flexible connections on either end of that assembly that will clamp onto the PVC or flex PVC so you don't need to glue it.

So coming out of my pump, I have the following parts in order:

Threaded 2" MPT to 2" slip adapter (with a light layer of teflon tape)
About 6" of 2" regular PVC (glued to adapter)
Street Elbow (glued to the straight PVC)
Check valve assembly (connected by hose clamps to the elbow and FlexPVC)
25' feet or so of flex PVC
2" MPT to slip connector (glued to FlexPVC, threaded with some teflon tape into the waterfall)

Hope this helps. If you want a photo inside the skimmer box, I can take one tomorrow.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@EricV Thanks! The check valve you have is what I meant by Fernco-type fitting -- the rubber with clamps on either end. I was trying to envision clamping 2 pieces of FLEX pipe together and the only thing I could think of was the Fernco-type. Yes, those are a great help!

A photo inside the skimmer box won't help ME [I don't have a skimmer], but it might be helpful for @bagsmom, if you don't mind posting that.

Any pictures are always helpful. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes -- all this from everyone is VERY helpful!!!!!! Thank you EricV for the pictures -- send as many as you feel inclined to -- all are really useful to me. A picture is worth a thousand words!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I may head home for lunch today. If I do, I'll grab a shot of the plumbing inside the skimmer.

Only if it is convenient. No hurries, no worries! I am going to be wrestling with tree roots for quite a while. I've got time.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Was no problem. Here you can see what I'm talking about. The white PVC is coming up from my pump and the black FlexPVC goes out to the waterfall. (The top left is the inlet from the pond.

thumb_IMG_0954_1024.jpg

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_0952_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0952_1024.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 235

Ask a Question