Tips for a Quarantine tank?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I still say test before adding too much, Not everyone is an expert at how many gallons of water you have.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Or has a scale sitting pond side to see what they are throwing in there

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I still say test before adding too much, Not everyone is an expert at how many gallons of water you have.

what is a easy way to test? i have seen the meters that measure the dissolved solids but how to just measure salt concentrations?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welp, was looking for a thread on how to setup a quarantine tank, hope don't mind me resurrecting this thread. I see it is pretty old, hate to create a new thread since there is this one already here.

Couple quick questions.

Here in a couple days I am going to start cycling my pond and I have heard it will take a while even while adding ammonium hydroxide to help get the beneficial bacteria colonies to form. While I am doing this, I thought maybe I could have a few fish in a new quarantine tank for the few weeks once my pond is ready.

1) Since the quarantine tank is gonna have fresh water I figure I will be adding dechlorinator to treat the water.

2) Gonna have a small aquarium airstone and a very thin layer of small peagravel on the bottom for where the bio-film to form.

3) Since I don't have any water pump nor filter for filtration, all I need to do is daily ~10% water changes for the next 3~4 weeks? with just a few Comets in there. Do I really need to get a water pump and filter for the QT tank or would I be better off if I did?

4) Since my QT is not cycled and put'n fish in there while my pond is doing its first cycle, is there anything extra I need to do to the QT that's not already mentioned in this thread ??

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a small tank set up for a few fry that made it to my deck pond. I brought them in over winter. They did fine in the tank with just an airstone and a some water changes. I didn't do daily changes, but I only had 3 , one inch fish in the tank.

The fish should be fine, just keep an eye on the ammonia levels.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know if you really need the gravel in the tank cuz I think the good bacteria will hook onto other stuff in your aquarium enough to make good bacteria. But if you want the look of it and don't mind cleaning it now and then It'll be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Determining Tank Volumes
I have a 100 gallon oval Rubbermaid stock tank I have been using for a quarantine tank. While handy, well made with sturdy sides and bottoms, they are not easy to determine volume. They are smaller at the bottom and angle out so that the standard formula for figuring volume does not work. You can estimate but if you need the specific gallons when dosing fish with medications that need to be exact, that could be scary.
I called the Rubbermaid manufacturers and after explaining my dilemma, got the following info for a 100 gallon black (WT100 HTC) stock tank :
7” deep equals 25 gallons, 13” deep is 50 gallons, 18” deep is 75 gallons, and 23.5” is 100 gallons.
If you have a larger tank and have the same concerns, call 1-800-347-9800 option #3 (east coast time) and ask for the measurements of your sized tank. Great company, helpful and friendly. Now you can feel comfortable dosing your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have a purpose built fibreglass QT fasility 550 gallons with its own bottom drain,, pump, filter 15watt UV-C and venturie its called a Shorham QT tank and in the UK is considered the Rolls Royce of QT setups
£545 brand new we got ours for a song at £260 used once by someone who didnt quite do his homework on filters installing the wrong sized one on his pond and then wondering why his koi died , rather than correct his mistake he just lost heart and gave up the hobby :(
A bargin you bet it was I even told him about the filter on his pond being wrong but no he had given up at the first hurdle, the really sad thing was our club chaiman lived just across the vally from him and he knew of him but didnt want to ask what he was doing wrong :(

Dave

Ask a Question