addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was out getting the lilies ready for winter, pulling, adding fertilizer, kitty litter and sinking.

The water was crystal clear I noticed the lack of debris on the bottom. I have not cleaned the bottom of the pond in over 5 years.
I think the amount of plants I have sucking nutrients out takes any plant matter that makes it into the pond and uses it up.

I did not groom the lilies once this summer, so all the old buds, leaves etc ended up somewhere, not in the pond! There is nothing there.
So if you don't want to mess around with cleaning the bottom of your pond, have lots of plants sucking up the nutrients and snails munching on the plants.
At least that is my theory!

This is the 5 foot deep area, you can see the spilled pea gravel, spilled years ago. The large black lumps are trap door snails.
IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG
IMG_4781.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I add nothing to the pond except water.

Used to take the net, net the bottom, pick out all the critters, then finally the light bulb came on, hours of work, I would get maybe a quarter of a 5 gallon bucket of stuff to toss. So quit cleaning, the pond is happy the fish are happy I AM HAPPY!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Same here @addy1 - the big stuff goes over the side and the little stuff sinks to the bottom where it magically disappears. I can count on one hand the number of times I used the net this year, and several of those times was to push around lily pots when I didn't feel like climbing in!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just remember my total filtration is a plant filled bog. Nothing else. And I have around 10 lilies in the pond and marginals. And a forest of hornwort. The plants suck out the nutrients from the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy. Your shubunkins are soooo.. pretty! I didn't notice anything on the bottom of my pond today either. I can see some gravel and a few rocks that fell in at one point. Oh and I did discover one huge trap door snail on my liner today. That's strange.... I don't remember putting any in!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did discover one huge trap door snail on my liner today. That's strange.... I don't remember putting any in!
You probably had a ride along when I sent you plants. The babies are really tiny. They have live birth. I have lots of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You probably had a ride along when I sent you plants. The babies are really tiny. They have live birth. I have lots of them.
haha. That's what I was thinking too! It was at least the size of a golf ball of bigger. I thought it was a rock at first and then realized a rock couldn't hang onto the liner the way it was doing. I used to have them at my old pond, but gave up on them because the raccoons liked eating them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but gave up on them because the raccoons liked eating them.
The raccoons are abundant around here. They have never bothered the pond, that I can tell. The snails like the deep part of the pond, that is where they love to hang out.

I do have them in my shallow ponds also. So far they seem to survive.

Ask a Question